I love that my boy is so open and honest and talks a lot. Guess he's like me in that way, LOL.
He came home and told me yesterday he had a new best friend, a girl in his class named Allison. He's mentioned her to me a lot, most of his classmates he has, but her more than usual. Allison is a girlie-girl. Allison cries when she's upset. Allison looks at him a lot and that drives him crazy. (I think she likes him because she called him "cute" in his Valentines book).
I tell him she is a sensitive girl, like me. I've even used her as an example when Brady sees Jason and I argue. Jason, like most guys, gets more angry than sad. I, like a lot of girls, tend to get sad and cry (oh geez, finally that doesn't just send Brady into a tailspin anymore. He hates to see me cry). So I tell Brady, it's just like you and Allison. What happens when you get in trouble at school? I get mad. What happens when Allison does. She cries.
Okay, there you go, Kid.
Anyway, Allison had some trouble to do with the line and the other kids were afraid she was going to cut in line and they were all saying, "Come on! Get in line!" and were kind of upset with her. So she, apparently, as Brady tells it, had a kind of grumpy defensive stance, holding her arms in tight and angry look on her face. And he recalled when he was in kindergarten and all the kids were mad at him, telling him he made them late coming in from recess because he didn't line up properly.
So he walked up to her and she responded by holding her arms even tighter, getting even grumpier. And what he did was gently pat her arm (he demonstrated it to me). And that one thing changed her mood, he said, "She got happy after that."
And then they hung around together all day, playing at recess, sitting by each other.
When he has trouble in life, I try and remember these things and that sweet, empathetic, caring heart of his. I love him so much it makes me want to cry.
- ► 2017 (53)
- Check your local grocery stores for sales!
- Weight loss tip: Fake banana split
- Free 1-year subscriptions to Inc Magazine
- 9 things I know about ADHD parents
- 39 weeks free of Wall Street Journal
- Money Saving Mom: Grace to kids, not shame
- Got my free $10 to Pizza Hut!
- Funny things Brady says... about a book...
- Parenting idea: Playing your child's game
- Recipes: Easy coffee cake, pork chops w/stuffing
- Teaching tool: The Invention Box
- Frugality: It's a lifestyle choice
- Muffin recipes: Cinnamon and apple butter
- Day 6 without school...winter storms Q and Rocky
- Money Saving Mom: 5 tips to waste less food
- Teaching tool: Modeling generosity
- Recreating a childhood memory: Snow Cream!
- No-Screen Sat: snow, errands, grandma
- Snow photos, deer tracks and Blizzard No. 2!!!!
- Around town on our Snow Day...
- Teaching health tip: Light-up toothbrushes
- Homework helper: letter tiles for spelling
- Funny things Brady says ... about Presidents...
- Funny things Brady says... in Dollar General...
- Day 19 getting off Paxil: More dreams and energy
- Coffee: My last vice
- Teaching tool: The Berenstain Bear books
- Autism: It's more than it seems....
- Near record-breaking snow in KS
- Day 16 getting off Paxil: A little dizzy
- KS Emergency State: What our blizzard looks like.
- Anxiety buster: eat enough, drink enough, sleep en...
- Structure for kids: Brady's shoe chart
- Like Christmas in my mailbox this week
- Funny things Brady says... about names...
- Funny things Brady says... in principal's office...
- Blessings in Disguise...
- The latest Whatever-You-Have Soup
- Funny things Brady says... about hummus (and humus)
- Try Something New Day: potato soup, vienna sausages
- Brady got his snow day... blizzard is here...
- You know you're in KS when... snow predictions...
- This week's deals at Dillons
- Parenting idea: "Talking" stories at bedtime...
- Sweet things Brady does ... new best friend
- Day 15 getting off Paxil: 10 mg to 5 mg
- Anxiety buster: Cut down on caffeine
- Weight loss tool: Prayer
- No-tech Sat.: Inventions, Sheriff Brady, grandma, ...
- Leaving your comfort zone can be fun!
- Kansas road pictorial: Our big blue sky
- Recipe: Quick veggie bake
- You know you're in the Midwest ... tumbleweeds
- Things that make me sigh... my boys...
- How I got free Pepsi following Money Saving Mom
- Weight loss tip.. single-bowl low-cal soup...
- Turn Valentine's Day around...
- Also got my free $5 to Amazon.com!
- I got my free $10 to Pizza Hut!!!!
- Valentines = caution for allergy kids!
- No-tech Sat: tp roll bowling, guacamole & more...
- Teaching tool: The Nature Box
- Lent for the Non-Catholic Catholic
- Updates to Prize Store make it new again.
- Try something new Thursday: prunes!
- Cool church sign I saw today...
- This is the 205th post!
- Day 7 getting off Paxil: No more dizziness!
- Wisdom from my Mom ... letting kids love...
- Sweet things Brady does... prayer in church...
- Day 6 Getting Off Paxil: A deeper laugh
- Funny things Brady says... about no-tech day
- Day 5 getting off Paxil: 3 realizations
- Getting off of Paxil is not fun, but worth it.
- 3 reasons I love tea - health, weight, happy
- I almost gave him egg! YIKES!
- Upside of food allergy: a healthier eater
- Encouraging a talent & house project update!
- Wisdom from my Mom: Pray for our foes
- Savings tip: Groceries at my fave store, Dollar Tree
- 6 reasons we should all walk more!
- Parenting through your flaws....
- Tortilla, turkey, cheese and pickle pinwheels
- Healthy Super Bowl food options
- Venison (deer) stir-fry
- No Screens Saturday: We had so much fun!
- Goodwill find: Two pairs of boots
- Try Something New Thursday: Whole wheat tortillas
- 7 ways to save on kids clothes
- ▼ February (89)
I cannot believe that this blog started three months ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to say. Well, LOL, I n...
According to this article, Wichita has received the 2nd largest snowfall on record, reaching so far 14.2 inches, with the highest being 15 ...
Today I want to start talking about a topic very near to my heart: postpartum depression. According to the agency I volunteer with, Postpart...
This post is a part of the Fantabulous Valentine's Day Favorites blog chain put together by a great group of bloggers. The theme ...
Apparently Brady has learned about "humus" - broken down organic matter which makes wonderful soil - as opposed to "hummu...
My hunting hubby always comes home with new things to cook. Venison, wild hog, dove. This time it was prairie chicken. They're interesti...
So a recent discovery, given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law, is Walgreens' knock-off perfumes. They have all kinds, like fake Opium...
We try to teach our kids a lot of things. Sometimes it feels like there is too much. Eat healthy food. Brush your teeth. Be polite. Be pat...
There's a good guest post at the Money Saving Mom blog today . Here's an excerpt: "Because of increasing gasoline prices we n...
Do you like my little depiction of a "worry bully" over there? I think that's kind of what they look like sitting on some...