Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lent for the Non-Catholic Catholic

I think perhaps being an ex-Catholic is like being an ex-Marine. It's not possible.

If Catholicism has been a part of your life, especially your early life, I think it gets down in your soul and informs the person you become even if you choose a different church later as I have.

I have practiced Lent ever since I can remember.  I've at times given up everything from alcohol to sweets to popcorn to fried foods. 

I love Lent and the idea of sacrificing, forgoing our sense of instant gratification, working on becoming a better person, focusing more on God.

But a couple years ago, after I'd joined the Methodist church but committed to continuing the Lent tradition, I decided not to give up in the traditional way. I decided to "give up" blocks of time devoted to reading the Bible. I made it through Matthew, Mark, Luke and John during that time and it was really a wonderful, eye opening experience.

In that same fashion, this year I am going to finally read the book a friend loaned to me months and months ago. Here it is. I am excited about what reading this book might teach me. To all my fellow current and former Catholics: Happy Lent!

2 comments:

  1. Like the time you had to have Saint Christopher in the car when we went to Myrtle Beach? Some habits die hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, how did I forget about old St. Christopher!!! Yes, he goes with Brady when he travels away from me, and of course with all of us when we travel. I love that old guy. He used to sit on the dashboard of my mom's dad's car.

      Delete

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts