Sunday, February 3, 2013

Venison (deer) stir-fry

Hubby and I agreed, this turned out to be the best stir-fry either one of us has ever had. So many people tell me they've tried venison a time or two and didn't like it. I am certain it was either cooked too long or not marinated or seasoned properly.

This dish last night was so tender, so lean and light, and so flavorful, how could anyone not like it?



I used a combination of two recipes I found online.

Ingredients:

Marinade: 

1/4 cup cornstarch
2 tsp sugar
6 Tbsp soy sauce
1/4 cup white wine vinegar (I used a mixture of white cooking wine and malt vinegar because that's what I had)
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp (or more) dried cilantro
Red pepper flakes/dried chilies to taste


Stir-fry: 

1 medium green bell pepper
1 medium red bell pepper
1/4 cup of diced onion
1 clove of garlic, diced
3 Tbsp oil (I used canola)
1 pound venison loin, trimmed and cut into slices that are 1/4-inch thick and 1 to 3 inches long, so nice thin slices

Awesome rice: 

Cook long-grain brown rice by directions, but add 1 Tbsp butter and 1 chicken bullion cube. YUM! 

In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, pepper, cilantro and pepper flakes; stir until smooth. Pour half into a large, resealable plastic bag and add venison. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 1-2 hours (I did overnight). Cover and refrigerate the remaining marinade.

Drain and discard marinade in bag. In large skillet or wok, stir-fry the venison and peppers/onion/garlic in oil for 4 to 6 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Stir reserved marinade and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over hot rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts