My Mom has always told me that while us kids (me and three older boys, yikes!) didn't believe it or understand it at the time, she disciplined us because she loved us. This stems from her growing up. Her mother died when she was 11 and she and her two older sisters were raised by a single father in the 1950s who had no idea what to do with all these girls.
Discipline was not on his radar and the girls tested the limits. She said in retrospect, she did things to get his attention just to see if he cared. He did care, she knows he did, but he didn't know how to show it through loving limits and teaching through consequences.
So I tell this to Brady now, that teaching him through boundaries and discipline and consequences is a part of love and parenting. Of course he doesn't buy it and refutes it very expressively as only he can do. But I'm hoping one day he will look back and see it as I - and my mom - see it.
I want the best for him. I love him and don't want to see him head down the wrong path. It'd be easier to let him get away with stuff, at least in the short term, but it will not help build his strength of character. It will not help him succeed in the world we live in.
It's my belief if you infuse love and communication into everything you do, one day they really will understand.
And, as I've learned so often over the years, Mom was right. :O)
- ► 2017 (53)
- Characteristics of ADHD kids admired in adults
- Funny things Brady says... about gagging...
- You know you're in a small town... charity edition...
- Getting out of the house: Go to the library!
- You know you're in the Mid-west... weather edition...
- Part 2: Can society get back to basics & focus on ...
- You know you're in a small town...library edition...
- Our walk on a blustery day...
- Save money buying dry beans & rice
- Colorful peppers - even asparagus - can be afforda...
- Treats vs. healthy, teaching kids the difference
- The 7-year-old cashed his first check!
- Homemade jerky - tasty high protein snack
- Behavior booster: Pick a treat for each day
- Parenting tip: Get their eyes checked early!
- A new goal: No-Screen Saturdays
- How people in the south see snow :)
- Mulberry pie & Crockpot Italian chicken
- For picky eaters: Try Something New Thursday
- You're in a small town when... 7, noon, 6 sirens
- Crockpot Mex-lasanga, Taco Potatoes & Sheperd's Pie
- Wisdom from my Mom...discipline is love
- You can save lots & get stuff free at the store!
- Funny things Brady says... about mom
- Thoughts of summer...
- Part 1: Can society get back to basics & focus on ...
- Reusing saves money & teaches creativity
- Finding joy in sacrifice, even when there's no choice
- Spark People 10 treats under 100 calories
- Gourmet grilled cheese, honey carrots
- Keep hunger at bay: 105 low-cal easy snacks
- 10 ways to save on fruits and veggies
- Baked Zucchini Coins
- Easy Crockpot Homemade Applesauce
- No-recipe easy chili
- My husband's $50 thrift store profit via Ebay
- Getting up earlier can energize your day...
- What you can gain through Women's Fellowship
- The three gifts of my child...
- Lazy Day Activity: Play Uno!
- Postpartum Depression (PPD): Day 4 - getting help
- You know it's a small town.... who's that lady?
- Prayer for a child...and for myself...
- Savings tip: Other brands cheaper than Walmart
- Brady's "crystal store" - my little entrepreneur
- Brady's $3.42 profit from Ebay
- Funny things Brady says, a two-fer!
- Humility is a Monday a.m. car crash in hot pink pjs
- Funny things Brady says...church-y DVD
- Meal planning, our menu this week
- Crockpot Peach Crisp
- Forgiveness: Good to practice, good to teach
- Postpartum Depression (PPD) series Day 3: Signs & ...
- Postpartum Depression (PPD) Day 2: Risk Factors
- Smiley360 - you've got to check it out!
- RAIN! Photos of a rare joy in drought-parched Kansas.
- One of life's little joys... mulberries and cream
- Wisdom from my Mom...be in the solution
- Funny things Brady says...my "voices"
- Postpartum Depression (PPD) 4-day series: Part 1
- Funny things Brady says...bad dreams...
- Hold hands while arguing
- Our disposable, throw-away society...
- Hubby got his January deer...
- The 7 year old has a bank account...
- Savings tip: Freeze everything!
- Funny things Brady says...the news...
- Giving kids the tools to be independent...
- Lazy day activity: Bury a treasure & find it!
- Whatever-You-Have soup & Teriyaki meatballs
- Funny things Brady does...his "driver's license"
- Add joy to life & take up a hobby...
- Easy Cheesy meatloaf
- Animal footprint stories told in the snow...
- You know you're in a small town when....sledding
- Sledding is a good workout!
- Behavior booster: Role-playing, demonstration and ...
- Wild game cooking: Bacon-wrapped grilled dove!
- Hominy bake, corn casserole, pizza!
- Funny things Brady says... New Year's edition!
- ▼ January (80)
I cannot believe that this blog started three months ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to say. Well, LOL, I n...
According to this article, Wichita has received the 2nd largest snowfall on record, reaching so far 14.2 inches, with the highest being 15 ...
Today I want to start talking about a topic very near to my heart: postpartum depression. According to the agency I volunteer with, Postpart...
This post is a part of the Fantabulous Valentine's Day Favorites blog chain put together by a great group of bloggers. The theme ...
My hunting hubby always comes home with new things to cook. Venison, wild hog, dove. This time it was prairie chicken. They're interesti...
Apparently Brady has learned about "humus" - broken down organic matter which makes wonderful soil - as opposed to "hummu...
So a recent discovery, given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law, is Walgreens' knock-off perfumes. They have all kinds, like fake Opium...
We try to teach our kids a lot of things. Sometimes it feels like there is too much. Eat healthy food. Brush your teeth. Be polite. Be pat...
There's a good guest post at the Money Saving Mom blog today . Here's an excerpt: "Because of increasing gasoline prices we n...
Do you like my little depiction of a "worry bully" over there? I think that's kind of what they look like sitting on some...