Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Prayer for a child...and for myself...

So many of the things that are beneficial to embrace in life - gratitude, forgiveness, faith - take practice, lots of it. Living by prayer - not worry - is another.

I try to remember to change the useless activity of worrying into a calming reliance on prayer. No where has this been more evident than as it relates to my son. Early on I used to pray that he'd have a good day at preschool, but I soon realized this type of specific prayer was very short-sighted and likely to be disheartening if it didn't happen.

My goal for him in this life is not that he just have a good day. It's that he learn and grow and be all he can be.

Later I prayed to help us get through a bad day. Short-sighted again. Yes, we need help to weather the storms of life, but that is still just a stone on our path. I've prayed for his teachers to have patience, but maybe he needs stern-ness on a particular day. There are so many factors involved when raising a little human being.

I finally settled on this, which I say every morning after dropping him off: "Dear God, please watch over him and keep him safe. Please help and guide him. Please help and guide his teachers. Please help and guide Jason and I. I need Your help most of all, Lord, to know how to guide him. Help us all to lead him down a path that pleases You, and help him to see Your path too. Amen."

This is truly what I want for Brady. So I say it, then turn it all over to God. I cannot be there for him when he's away from me, other than the lessons I have taught him that hopefully stick with him, but God can always be there. It really is one of the best things I can do for him and for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts