Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Save money buying dry beans & rice

Instead of buying instant rice and canned beans, I've taken to buying 2 pound bags of regular brown rice and pinto beans, both the Great Value brand. I knew it was less expensive than already cooked or instant but I didn't know by how much.

So I decided to check. I did not check the difference between whole white rice vs. instant white rice as I rarely buy it.

What I do is either soak overnight or quick-soak and then cook at least half a bag of beans, and then freeze them in 2-cup quantities. I do the same with rice.
Here's the breakdown for beans. A can of Great Value pinto beans is 68 cents and it provides 2 cups of beans. A bag of Great Value dry pinto beans is $2.28 and provides 12 cups of cooked beans. So, it would take 6 cans of Great Value beans to equal one bag, at a cost difference of $4.08 vs. $2.28. A savings of $1.80 and a better taste in my opinion.

The breakdown for rice is $1.66 for 14 ounces of Great Value instant brown rice (not even 1 pound!) and $1.38 for 2 pounds (32 ounces) of whole brown rice. Wow, I don't even have to do figuring for that! It's clearly cheaper.

It takes time, but it sure saves money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts