Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Hominy bake, corn casserole, pizza!

I love holidays! I get to cook a lot! How fun.

New Year's Eve it was snowing quite a lot, which prevented our babysitter (my Mom!) from coming to watch the kiddo. So the three of us hunkered down to watch the movie, Holes, which is great film. I had planned on eating out, so my back up plan was homemade pizza. 

Here are the results:

















Once again, I was too excited about it to take a picture of the baked result, but it was far better than any store-bought pizza I've ever had and at least half the price.

I used two bags of Great Value pizza crust mix (50 cents a piece). You add hot water to the dough, let it set 5 minutes, then prebake it. I sprinkle the crust with spices before baking too. Then I use a small amount of spaghetti sauce, half a pound of browned seasoned ground venison, mushrooms, black olives, diced tomatoes, and top with 3 cheeses - mozzarella, cheddar and Parmesan. And bake. Delicious and better for you than regular pizza, a well rounded meal.



Hills Cornbread Casserole (came out of a newspaper cookbook)
(made this for New Year's day and it was glorious!)

1 can kernel corn, drained
1 can creamed corn
1 stick margarine (I used butter)
1 box Jiffy corn bread mix
2 eggs (I used half cup water with 2 tsp corn starch for egg-free)
2 cups sour cream (I used fat free)
1-2 cups shredded cheddar

Melt margarine in 9X9 casserole dish. Stir in corn, eggs and cornbread mix until well blended. Drop sour cream by tablespoon fulls on top and using a fork, fold it gently into the casserole mixture, taking care not to over mix (this makes nice ribbons of sour cream in the baked product). Bake in preheated 350 degree oven uncovered until golden brown, about 45-60 min assuring the center is fully cooked and set.

Remove from oven and add shredded cheese to top of casserole. Place back into oven until cheese is melted.


















Gourmet hominy bake

This is my mother-in-law's recipe and it is amazing!

3 13-oz cans of white hominy, drained
2 4-oz cans of green chilies
1/2 stick butter
8 oz sour cream (I used fat free)
1/2 cup heavy cream (I used 1% milk)
1 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese (I used mozzarella)
salt, pepper to taste

Drain and rinse hominy. Butter casserole dish (I use cooking spray). Layer in the following order: hominy, green chilies, salt, pepper, then dot with sour cream and b utter. Repeat the layers, then dot the top with butter and pour the heavy cream or milk over all; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 mins. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts