Friday, January 18, 2013

Easy Crockpot Homemade Applesauce


I cut this recipe out of a magazine awhile back and have made it over and over and over. It makes, no kidding, the best applesauce I've ever eaten. I have made homemade applesauce on the stove and this one in the crockpot is, by far, much easier.

Not only that, it's easy, cheap and healthy. Now, I have used mostly the apples Brady and I collected over the summer. We had boxes and boxes of them. For this batch, it was the very last bag I had frozen, so we are officially out. I never thought we'd run out, but we finally did.

However, just a week ago I got 3 pounds of apples from Aldi for $2.25, so you can find them cheap sometimes, which I consider $1 per pound or less.

Peel, core and slice 3 pounds of tart apples (I just use whatever apples were on sale or were able to collect). Then put them in a 4-quart slow cooker/crockpot.


Add 1/4 cup water, 3 Tbsps lemon juice and 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (I use more because I LOVE cinnamon). I also add a handful of brown sugar:

This recipe says turn the crockpot on high. Then come back 3 to 4 hours later and mash the apples. I have found, however, that if you have the time to add a little extra water and put it on low for 6 hours or so. This makes for a lighter flavor, but either way will work.

You can then refrigerate it for a week or freeze it for much longer. I have tried freezing it and it freezes very well. It is especially good with a dollop of Coolwhip Free on it.

One word of advice, this type of masher seems to work much better than the wavy kind.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts