Sunday, January 20, 2013

Gourmet grilled cheese, honey carrots

One of my favorite easy meals (I have lots of them!) is what I call Gourmet Grilled Cheese. I used to host a group of scifi-minded friends back in South Carolina on Friday nights and we'd all bring a different contribution.

I have made these sandwiches with any kind of cheese - pepper jack, cheddar, Havarti, Swiss, Gouda, you name it - and with sliced tomatoes, jalapenos, black olives, peppers, onions, avocado, bacon, ham, mustard, hot sauce, sour cream, ranch dressing. It really kicks the traditional sandwich up.

I usually pair this with tomato or some other kind of soup. Here's the result of last night's:


I used bacon, cheddar, pepper jack and avocado and grilled on the griddle side of my waffle maker, though you could do it the traditional way on the stove in a skillet or in a sandwich press.

We paired it with chips and tomato soup.

Right in line with my discovery that we weren't eating enough veggies, my father-in-law blessed us with a HUGE mess of carrots from his garden. He had so many this year they filled up a wheel barrow which sits out in his garage, just like it is in a frig.

So I cut them up and steamed them in my veggie/rice steamer, then put them on the stove with some butter and honey. Oh boy it made them sweet and sumptuous!




And while I had the steamer out, I also steamed up a quick batch of broccoli, then cooked it with butter, a little lemon juice and lemon pepper.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts