Thursday, January 17, 2013

What you can gain through Women's Fellowship

As I settled into my new home, my quiet little town, I wanted some way to get involved in the community and make connections. My mother-in-law has been active in our church's Women's Fellowship for decades and so this was the natural thing to do.

I wasn't sure what to expect, having never been involved in women's fellowship anywhere. Turns out it has been a great way to connect with members of my church and with other Christian women, a way to have some "me" time as an adult separate from my husband and son (who get to bond on this night once a month too!), to grow spiritually as I pray with and work with others, and to serve my community.

I have found these ladies to be wonderful, gracious, generous, welcoming, friendly and warm. 

The ladies raise money for and work for a county thrift store 10 miles away that contributes a great deal each month to help locals through the food bank or with clothing, helping pay for power bills or gas to get to appointments and interviews. We have a prayer chain if a member of the community or their family members need prayers. We make food for church functions.

We donated money last year for a woman in town whose house burned down and to the daughter of the grocery store owners who is embarking on an 11-month world mission. We coordinate the Angel Tree each year which brings presents - and the love of Jesus - to area children with a parent in prison.

We hold a chicken noodle dinner to raise funds and decorate the church for Christmas and help with funerals, baby showers and whatever needs doing.

A group like this deepens your investment in a church and a community, deepens your relationship with other Christians and friends, and deepens your faith as you actively participate in God's work in this world and see the results.

Beyond that, I was struck early on by an amazing thought. It occurred to me as a large group of us gathered to make homemade noodles. As we buzzed about mixing, grinding and cutting, along with chatting and laughing, I realized this same thing had been done over and over and over for years by various women. I was participating in a long-time town tradition.

I thought the same thing as we decorated the church for Christmas and sang carols and talked. I was a part of something meaningful and sacred and it felt fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts