Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Treats vs. healthy, teaching kids the difference

I'm blessed to have a child who loves to talk. And he doesn't talk just to talk, he asks questions and wants me to expand on things. He won't accept easy answers, which is at times exhausting! He sure makes me think.

We've talked a lot about how the body works and what fuels it well. I tell him if we don't eat and drink the things that are healthy most of the time, we can get sick.

He told me one time, "I wish I could just eat treats all day long!" I know how he feels. Don't we all? But I want him to see those things just as that, treats, not staples.

He knows I will always give him what he needs to be healthy: love, good food, good things to drink, shelter, clothing and opportunities to learn and exercise. The rest of it - sweets, pop, TV, games -  he has to earn.

Not necessarily a reward, but something you get when you've taken care of responsible things. It's my hope that they will become something special, an addition to a healthy life, not a replacement.

Yesterday he said, "I want some pop!" I said, "Okay, then buy one from your prize store on Friday." I guess he's used to this because just said, "Okay," and moved on.


What has amazed me the most is I've seen him have only 3 M&Ms left and just say, "I'm done. I don't want the rest" and push the bowl away. Wow. That's a kid who has a good sense of when he is full, treat or not. I hope it continues as he grows and is exposed to more of the world.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts