Thursday, May 30, 2013

Super easy & tasty crockpot "refried" beans

With all the seasonings, just not water yet
I love the crockpot! Just adore it. And then I came across this recipe for crockpot refried beans. I've made it twice now and it is super easy.

I'll tell you two things I do differently. I don't use 2 lbs, which is one whole bag, though you could and freeze some of it. I use about a half a bag and then just season it to taste rather than using the recipe's measurements. And this time, to make it even easier, I didn't use any actual fresh onion or garlic, just used onion powder and garlic powder. I also added paprika and Head Country seasoning.

Crockpot "Refried" Beans


Ingredients:
Right after cooking.
2 lbs pinto beans (I soaked them overnight first but the author of the recipe did not)
1 large onion, chopped
4 Tbsp jarred minced garlic
1 tsp black pepper
Up to 2.5 Tbsp salt
2 tsp cumin
10 cups hot water
Paprika, optional
Head Country or season salt, optional
* Note: I did the salt, pepper and cumin on the fly, I didn't measure them. I just seasoned them, stirred them and kind of smelled them to see if they smelled right, LOL! And they turned out glorious.

Directions: 

Rinse the beans in a colander. Combine all ingredients in the crockpot. Cover and cook on High for 4 hours and on low for 2 hours. Now I cooked mine on high from about 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and they were fine, as long as you make sure you have lots of water. Makes a nice sort of thick sauce that way in case you want more stewed beans rather than refried.

Uncover, remove extra liquid but leave enough liquid to reach the desired consistency when the beans are mashed. Mash beans with potato masher until desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts