Monday, May 20, 2013

Fake choc-peanut butter-banana ice cream, YUM!

I found a recipe somewhere awhile back and finally made it. It is Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana "Ice Cream" though it's not really ice cream and you could make it totally dairy-free, though I added some milk. I like finding alternative ice creams because half of them at the store have egg, which Brady can't have. 

It's also healthier than regular ice cream! When our bananas get too soft, I will start cutting and freezing them for this purpose.

Here's the recipe:

Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream

Ingredients (per serving):

1 frozen banana
3/4 tsp cocoa powder
1/2 to 1 Tbsp peanut butter

Directions:

Peel bananas and chop into several chunks. Freeze overnight or until solid. Dump half of bananas into blender. Add desired amounts of cocoa and peanut butter, and top with other half of bananas. Secure lid and pulse mixture, stopping to scrape down sides. At this point, I added some milk in because it wasn't getting smooth enough for my taste. You could add soy or rice milk if there is a milk allergy in your family. When it starts to become creamy, begin to do longer spurts of blending until the consistency of soft-serve ice cream is reached.

YUM! Brady loved it. My husband, whose not fond of banana-flavored stuff, even said it was surprisingly good. Just had a thought (via a comment) that you could also probably add a little vanilla or almond extract or maybe even a little strawberry milk powder instead of cocoa for a different taste.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! I am definitely going to try this (except take out the cocoa powder because Jasmyn is allergic)

    Thank you for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, a cocoa allergy! I'm so used to worrying about egg and milk (hubby's allergic) that I hadn't thought about cocoa. You could adapt it without peanut butter too, I imagine. The banana makes such a nice base for it. Maybe you could put a little vanilla or almond extract in it for a little flavor? Or even strawberry milk powder. Hmmmmm...

      Delete

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts