Tuesday, May 21, 2013

ADHD: Find a parent advocacy center in your state

I thought I had posted this previously, but it seems I haven't. When Brady was having a rough couple of weeks at school recently, a good friend pointed me toward a parent advocacy center here in Kansas called Families Together.

I talked to a lady so wonderful and so supportive and so understanding that I choked up on the phone with her. I told her, "I talk to moms going through postpartum depression and this must be what they feel like!"

She has a child with ADHD and she also talks to many, many other parents going through the same thing. She gave me advice on when and if I want to have Brady evaluated for an IEP or 504 designation. She informed me of the steps I'd need to take and things to consider. She basically offered advice and support.

It's worth checking out if you have a similar agency in your state and you can do so by going to the Parent Center Network web page.

Below is from their "About" page:

The ALLIANCE National Parent Technical Assistance Center (NPTAC)

The ALLIANCE National Parent Technical Assistance Center (NPTAC) provides Parent Centers, Parent Training and Information Centers (PTIs) and Community Parent Resource Centers (CPRCs), with innovative technical assistance, up-to-date information, and high quality resources and materials. A major goal of the ALLIANCE National PTAC is to build the capacity of Parent Centers in order to improve results for children with disabilities ages 0 -26 in rural, urban and suburban areas and from underrepresented and under-served populations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts