Friday, May 24, 2013
As a parent, stop and think why you say "No"
In order to prevent a problem or to keep on track to get where you're going or whatever it is, it is so easy to just say "No" to something a child wants to do.
I started to say "No" to the situation pictured here yesterday, but then I stopped and considered why I was saying "No."
Someone was watering up the hill somewhere and there was a ribbon of water running down the street. Not a lot. Small enough Brady could block it with his foot and then eventually both feet, LOL.
When I stepped back and paused, I realized there wasn't enough water for him to get all wet and he wasn't trying to anyway. What he was trying to do was make a dam and it was working!
Pretty soon, when I stopped fussing at him, he got me involved too. Here I am using my foot as the dam and he has his little finger on a rock pretending to be a stranded guy, LOL. Then we'd move our feet quick and watch the held back water rush down. We also got to see where the water went when it met the obstacle of our feet.
This was a nice fun little moment for us. It was science. It was nature. And it was really okay. There was no reason to say "No," and I'm glad I stopped and thought before I pushed too hard. It's good sometimes to consider why we say what we say, and make sure there really is a good reason for it.
- Funny things Brady says... about peas...
- The joy of finding a problem you don't have
- Finally, some rain in Kansas
- Super easy & tasty crockpot "refried" beans
- For a different kid, consider different care
- The ever-giving memory: grandpa's rhubarb plants
- On Memorial Day, recall the past that shaped the n...
- Memorial Day: Joining the military is such an act ...
- There's no magic answer, no magic pill, only life
- Changing words, deeds, thoughts every day
- My garden: Why I love dirt on my hands
- My first guest post! "10 Simple Ways to Save Money...
- As a parent, stop and think why you say "No"
- We're ready for summer at the office!
- More Freebies in my mailbox. Yippee!
- Teaching tool: Prize Store becomes Reading Store
- After Oklahoma, little things don't matter....
- ADHD: Find a parent advocacy center in your state
- Fake choc-peanut butter-banana ice cream, YUM!
- Clover fields in Kansas, how beautiful
- 3 good Thriving Family articles: prayer, marriage,...
- ADHD: What we learned from 2 dogs, Piggie & Banks
- A happy mistake: the reading counts skate party
- In a small town, everyone does double duty
- Funny things Brady says... suspected bad word
- The power of a parent over a child
- My new sayings, about blessings
- Life: Take it one little piece at a time
- Sweet words from my boy on Mom's Day
- What I love about a Christian life
- We finished the stick house!
- Back to cooking and don't waste potato skins!
- Only in a small town... wrong number on Mom's Day....
- 10 things about my Mom & being a Mom
- Parenting: We're in the planting phase
- In pursuit of faith: the scenic route
- The Invention Party was a success!
- Only in a small town... forgotten flower...
- Weight loss: slow and steady work
- Yes ma'am, yes sir: good for all of us
- Free Junie B. Jones book!
- Letting a kid be a kid, I wish!
- Good blog post: when motherhood is hard
- Funny things Brady says... Jase waking up
- Funny things Brady says... chick flicks
- Parenting idea: A child's "pro's" list
- Why we look forward to school year's end...
- You know you're in the country... baby squirrels.....
- Grace under pressure, it is so hard
- Small town joy, the 59th church sale!
- Keeping the blog real, so God "steal my show"
- You know you're in a small town... grocery tour
- Funny things Brady says ... at doc's office
- Funny things Brady says... party advertising
- A role model at 7 years old? Sheesh!
- Yes Ma'am and Yes Sir, what a good idea!
- Maybe struggling sometimes is okay, even good
- Small towns keep it real and personal
- ▼ May (58)
I cannot believe that this blog started three months ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to say. Well, LOL, I n...
According to this article, Wichita has received the 2nd largest snowfall on record, reaching so far 14.2 inches, with the highest being 15 ...
Today I want to start talking about a topic very near to my heart: postpartum depression. According to the agency I volunteer with, Postpart...
Apparently Brady has learned about "humus" - broken down organic matter which makes wonderful soil - as opposed to "hummu...
This post is a part of the Fantabulous Valentine's Day Favorites blog chain put together by a great group of bloggers. The theme ...
So a recent discovery, given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law, is Walgreens' knock-off perfumes. They have all kinds, like fake Opium...
There's a good guest post at the Money Saving Mom blog today . Here's an excerpt: "Because of increasing gasoline prices we n...
Saw this article today and they had some good ideas. I forgot peaches in my 100 low-cal snacks! Here's the link: Spark People 100 cal tr...
Do you like my little depiction of a "worry bully" over there? I think that's kind of what they look like sitting on some...
Back in January, I posted this deal from Proctor & Gamble (I don't know if they have the same ones available or others now, but...