Thursday, May 16, 2013

Life: Take it one little piece at a time

I have such a hard time remembering this. But if you have a daunting prospect in life, any big project, skip the big overwhelming picture and break it down into small, manageable portions, a little bit at a time and it will get done.

Maybe not today. Not tomorrow. But eventually it will get done.

Some life events that might require this approach:
  • Packing to move. 
  • Packing for vacation. 
  • Getting married. 
  • Getting divorced. 
  • Finding a job. 
  • Cleaning your house. 
  • Removing clutter. 
  • Unpacking. 
  • Establishing yourself in a new town. 
  • Getting your yard in shape. 
  • Weight loss. 
  • Changing a habit. 
  • Finishing college.
  • In our case, getting through the school year!
If you do a little bit every day, you will get there. You really will.

One section at a time. One piece at a time. One box at a time. One room at a time. One window at a time. One day at a time. Whatever it is you want to do, break into one-at-a-times.

I've learned after many moves over the years how to do this. Start with one box, then another, and do maybe five a day. In a couple of weeks you're done.

When I had to clean a 1500-square-foot house to sell, I took it one room, one day at a time. In two weeks I was done. When I moved here to Kansas, I had an entire room full of boxes. I did one a day. In a few weeks, it was done and I didn't stress too much. But I made a point to do that one box every single day.

Right now it's the garden. Hoe-ing is hard work. I likened parenting to gardening the other day and as I chopped and smoothed, chopped and smoothed, and was exhausted, with a blister or two, I thought, whew, that really was a good analogy.

But you can see in these photos I started with one spot. Over the course of a couple days, with help from Brady and Jase, it got done. A little section at a time. One at a time.

Now I'm working on a larger parcel a block away. Whew. Did some today. Will do some tomorrow. And Friday. And over the weekend. It'll get done. But I'll take it in bite-size portions to keep my stress level down.

As a parent, I fight to take it one day at a time. I may have a larger goal, but I have to think only about today. Deal with today's successes and failures. Try again tomorrow. If I don't do it this way, I get overwhelmed and drained.

Whatever you're dealing with in life, trying the piecemeal idea and see if it works for you. Here was our progress:






No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts