My Mom told me today she has been making biscuits with this recipe for 60 years! Wow! It really is good and easy. She thinks she got the recipe off Pillsbury flour. I made them today on Brady's request. He loves them!
2 cups self-rising flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup buttermilk
Note: I never have buttermilk, so I use either 1/2 cup milk soured with 1/4 cup lemon juice or 1/2 cup milk soured with 1/4 cup vinegar. Either works well and I have used everything from skim milk to whole milk for this recipe.
Mix flour and baking soda in a bowl. Using a fork, cut in the shortening until the mixture is crumbly. Add the buttermilk a bit at a time, stirring in. Turn dough onto floured surface, sprinkle the dough with flour and knead until no longer sticky.
Note: Only knead this about 10 times, even less if you can. The less you knead, the fluffier they will be.
Roll out to about 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch and cut to desired size. (I use metal biscuit cutters but you could use a floured upside down glass or cookie cutters).
Place biscuits touching on un-greased baking sheet or pan and bake at 450 degrees for 8 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
This came from the January 2013 Parents magazine and it looks and sounds awesome!
6 cups chicken broth
1 7-to-8 ounce package dried cheese-filled tortellini
1 16-ounce package (4 cups) frozen broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, or another veggie medley
1. Bring broth to a boil in a 4-quart pot. Add tortellini, reduce heat and cook, uncovered, for about 10 minutes. Add veggies. Return to a boil. Reduce heat and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes more.
2. Divide among soup bowls and top with pepper and Parmesan cheese.
- ► 2017 (53)
- ► 2013 (521)
- Funny things Brady says...thank you cards
- We like to get out in all kinds of weather
- Not-Fried Fried potatoes & Day-After-Christmas cas...
- The drought hits home, tough times for the Midwest
- Being "different" isn't bad...
- Free & easy slide-show greeting cards with Smilebox
- After the Holidays, back to Spark People
- How you can get free magazines every month
- Wild game cooking: Wild turkey fingers
- Pull-apart bread & Mom's gravy
- Lessons from a child for goodbyes - take photos!
- The Eight Christmases of Brady
- Tortellini Soup & My Mom's Awesome Easy Biscuits
- Amazon trade-ins - get a gift card for your stuff!
- 4 ways to get kids comfortable in church
- Stock homemade frozen foods for kids
- Funny things Brady says...boss in Spanish
- The Flylady helps get you organized!
- The sweet heart of a child
- 8 reasons why I don't text
- Using Timers with kids
- Wild game cooking: Venison jerky in the oven
- Fish foil packets
- Do It Yourself: picked beets & pickled eggs
- Wisdom from my mom: Tell kids 1,000 + 1 times
- Easy chicken pot pie
- Brady's cool find yesterday in cold weather
- Easiest way to make pasta
- Pesto with olives & mushrooms
- Savings tip: $1 clothes at Walmart
- Getting out of the house - 26 free fun activities!
- Ebay can teach about math, money & sales
- "This was my idea. Was it a good one?"
- 8 anxiety busters and mood changers
- Buying on Ebay: find your favorite things cheaper!
- Saying yes to kids and their big ideas
- Cheap homemade pizza!
- Savings tips: cheap easy skin care tips
- Funny Things Brady Says... construction
- For night fears, Mommy Magic Spray
- 1-2-3 Magic discipline for kids
- Why Ebay can work for anyone
- Funny things Brady says ... date night minions
- Busy in a Small Town
- Savings tip: Walgreens perfumes
- ▼ December (45)
I cannot believe that this blog started three months ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to say. Well, LOL, I n...
According to this article, Wichita has received the 2nd largest snowfall on record, reaching so far 14.2 inches, with the highest being 15 ...
Today I want to start talking about a topic very near to my heart: postpartum depression. According to the agency I volunteer with, Postpart...
This post is a part of the Fantabulous Valentine's Day Favorites blog chain put together by a great group of bloggers. The theme ...
Apparently Brady has learned about "humus" - broken down organic matter which makes wonderful soil - as opposed to "hummu...
My hunting hubby always comes home with new things to cook. Venison, wild hog, dove. This time it was prairie chicken. They're interesti...
So a recent discovery, given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law, is Walgreens' knock-off perfumes. They have all kinds, like fake Opium...
We try to teach our kids a lot of things. Sometimes it feels like there is too much. Eat healthy food. Brush your teeth. Be polite. Be pat...
There's a good guest post at the Money Saving Mom blog today . Here's an excerpt: "Because of increasing gasoline prices we n...
Do you like my little depiction of a "worry bully" over there? I think that's kind of what they look like sitting on some...