I used to worry I'd be bored living in a small town. HA!
In the last week I had a women's fellowship meeting to decorate the church for Christmas, a friend's 46th birthday party, a date with my mom to see Wreck It Ralph, and then a fundraising dinner at the Methodist church - one of three churches in town - with my mother in law.
In the middle of all that, my husband shot a buck deer and Brady and I went out there in the country in the darkness to help him and my father-in-law, who were gutting the deer and dragging it to the truck. Wow! I had Brady and I zipping all over the place all week long.
And it's often that way. Over the summer we did Vacation Bible Study and I got to lead Brady's class of kindergarten and first-graders, kids he and I both know from his school. In the spring, we'll sign him up for soccer and I'll likely help out.
Next Sunday our church is having a special quartet and a potluck afterwards. The school has book fairs. The town has a Santa's workshop for kids to shop for presents for parents and festivals twice a year. There are often 2 things going on at once and we have to zip from one to the other, or choose which one to do. On Halloween, we did quick trick or treating, then went by the Methodist church where they sort of had a tailgate Halloween with lots of candy and then drove 10 miles to a haunted trails walk.
I had no idea life would be so full here. And not fleetingly full or full just on the surface. But the kind of full where we spend quality time with family, friends, neighbors, teachers, community members and each other. We're building memories and traditions and relationships. It feels very real and grounded. It keeps us busy and with too little time to worry about much :)
I hope you all have as many fun activities in your community.
- ► 2017 (53)
- ► 2013 (521)
- Funny things Brady says...thank you cards
- We like to get out in all kinds of weather
- Not-Fried Fried potatoes & Day-After-Christmas cas...
- The drought hits home, tough times for the Midwest...
- Being "different" isn't bad...
- Free & easy slide-show greeting cards with Smilebo...
- After the Holidays, back to Spark People
- How you can get free magazines every month
- Wild game cooking: Wild turkey fingers
- Pull-apart bread & Mom's gravy
- Lessons from a child for goodbyes - take photos!
- The Eight Christmases of Brady
- Tortellini Soup & My Mom's Awesome Easy Biscuits
- Amazon trade-ins - get a gift card for your stuff!...
- 4 ways to get kids comfortable in church
- Stock homemade frozen foods for kids
- Funny things Brady says...boss in Spanish
- The Flylady helps get you organized!
- The sweet heart of a child
- 8 reasons why I don't text
- Using Timers with kids
- Wild game cooking: Venison jerky in the oven
- Fish foil packets
- Do It Yourself: picked beets & pickled eggs
- Wisdom from my mom: Tell kids 1,000 + 1 times
- Easy chicken pot pie
- Brady's cool find yesterday in cold weather
- Easiest way to make pasta
- Pesto with olives & mushrooms
- Savings tip: $1 clothes at Walmart
- Getting out of the house - 26 free fun activities!...
- Ebay can teach about math, money & sales
- "This was my idea. Was it a good one?"
- 8 anxiety busters and mood changers
- Buying on Ebay: find your favorite things cheaper!...
- Saying yes to kids and their big ideas
- Cheap homemade pizza!
- Savings tips: cheap easy skin care tips
- Funny Things Brady Says... construction
- For night fears, Mommy Magic Spray
- 1-2-3 Magic discipline for kids
- Why Ebay can work for anyone
- Funny things Brady says ... date night minions
- Busy in a Small Town
- Savings tip: Walgreens perfumes
- ▼ December (45)
I cannot believe that this blog started three months ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to say. Well, LOL, I n...
According to this article, Wichita has received the 2nd largest snowfall on record, reaching so far 14.2 inches, with the highest being 15 ...
Today I want to start talking about a topic very near to my heart: postpartum depression. According to the agency I volunteer with, Postpart...
This post is a part of the Fantabulous Valentine's Day Favorites blog chain put together by a great group of bloggers. The theme ...
Apparently Brady has learned about "humus" - broken down organic matter which makes wonderful soil - as opposed to "hummu...
So a recent discovery, given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law, is Walgreens' knock-off perfumes. They have all kinds, like fake Opium...
There's a good guest post at the Money Saving Mom blog today . Here's an excerpt: "Because of increasing gasoline prices we n...
Do you like my little depiction of a "worry bully" over there? I think that's kind of what they look like sitting on some...
Saw this article today and they had some good ideas. I forgot peaches in my 100 low-cal snacks! Here's the link: Spark People 100 cal tr...
Back in January, I posted this deal from Proctor & Gamble (I don't know if they have the same ones available or others now, but...