Anxiety is a difficult thing to live with and people with anxieties are often misunderstood. "Just think rationally," simply doesn't work. Here are some natural remedies most of which involve engaging the senses to change the direction of your thoughts and mood.
1) MUSIC! I cannot stress this one enough. Many nights I come right in and turn on the radio. Right now it's Christmas music, but it's often Delilah's night time show with wonderful soothing music, other times NPR's jazz music, or Christian rock, or classic rock. Whatever I'm in the mood for. Other than #8 (I saved the best for last) I find this to be the single most effective anxiety buster. Music calms the psyche, gets the body focused on rhythm and beat, and makes the heart want to sing along.
2) Scent. A good smelling candle can stop the brain in its tracks and completely divert it from the irrationality center. Or maybe try a nice stick of incense or a Scentsy warmer or plug-in. Or put cinnamon, orange slices, vanilla extract or anything similar and boil it on the stove or place it in the crock pot. It produces such a wonderful warm scent.
3) Taste. A nice cup of tea or cocoa, a sweet treat, spicy salsa, a lemon. Again, divert and distract the invader!
4) Touch. Take a warm bath, rub on a nice lotion (this doubles with scent!), put on soft comfy clothes, open the windows for a breeze or warm ray of sun.
5) Sight. Put inspirational sayings all around your house for stressful moments. Open the blinds to let light in and show the outdoors, write in a journal, put in a movie, fill the house with beautiful paintings or photos of family and friends. Put up a digital slide show or read a book.
6) Get outside or otherwise change your location. Sunshine and fresh air and flowers or snow, depending on the season, go a long way. So would a park, the mall, a library or any other dynamic, interesting place. A change of scenery can change your mood.
7) Exercise. Release those endorphins, get yourself moving and your blood pumping.
8) Now the most important: Pray, pray, pray. I read or heard or saw somewhere the idea that you should turn worries into prayers. With practice, this gets easier. I pray and I visualize myself giving it all to God. Do your best, then give God the rest.
So next time you feel ready to snap, remember: change it up! Distract and divert! Enlist the endorphins! And kick anxiety's butt!
- ► 2017 (53)
- ► 2013 (521)
- Funny things Brady says...thank you cards
- We like to get out in all kinds of weather
- Not-Fried Fried potatoes & Day-After-Christmas cas...
- The drought hits home, tough times for the Midwest...
- Being "different" isn't bad...
- Free & easy slide-show greeting cards with Smilebo...
- After the Holidays, back to Spark People
- How you can get free magazines every month
- Wild game cooking: Wild turkey fingers
- Pull-apart bread & Mom's gravy
- Lessons from a child for goodbyes - take photos!
- The Eight Christmases of Brady
- Tortellini Soup & My Mom's Awesome Easy Biscuits
- Amazon trade-ins - get a gift card for your stuff!...
- 4 ways to get kids comfortable in church
- Stock homemade frozen foods for kids
- Funny things Brady says...boss in Spanish
- The Flylady helps get you organized!
- The sweet heart of a child
- 8 reasons why I don't text
- Using Timers with kids
- Wild game cooking: Venison jerky in the oven
- Fish foil packets
- Do It Yourself: picked beets & pickled eggs
- Wisdom from my mom: Tell kids 1,000 + 1 times
- Easy chicken pot pie
- Brady's cool find yesterday in cold weather
- Easiest way to make pasta
- Pesto with olives & mushrooms
- Savings tip: $1 clothes at Walmart
- Getting out of the house - 26 free fun activities!...
- Ebay can teach about math, money & sales
- "This was my idea. Was it a good one?"
- 8 anxiety busters and mood changers
- Buying on Ebay: find your favorite things cheaper!...
- Saying yes to kids and their big ideas
- Cheap homemade pizza!
- Savings tips: cheap easy skin care tips
- Funny Things Brady Says... construction
- For night fears, Mommy Magic Spray
- 1-2-3 Magic discipline for kids
- Why Ebay can work for anyone
- Funny things Brady says ... date night minions
- Busy in a Small Town
- Savings tip: Walgreens perfumes
- ▼ December (45)
I cannot believe that this blog started three months ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to say. Well, LOL, I n...
According to this article, Wichita has received the 2nd largest snowfall on record, reaching so far 14.2 inches, with the highest being 15 ...
Today I want to start talking about a topic very near to my heart: postpartum depression. According to the agency I volunteer with, Postpart...
Apparently Brady has learned about "humus" - broken down organic matter which makes wonderful soil - as opposed to "hummu...
This post is a part of the Fantabulous Valentine's Day Favorites blog chain put together by a great group of bloggers. The theme ...
So a recent discovery, given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law, is Walgreens' knock-off perfumes. They have all kinds, like fake Opium...
There's a good guest post at the Money Saving Mom blog today . Here's an excerpt: "Because of increasing gasoline prices we n...
Do you like my little depiction of a "worry bully" over there? I think that's kind of what they look like sitting on some...
Saw this article today and they had some good ideas. I forgot peaches in my 100 low-cal snacks! Here's the link: Spark People 100 cal tr...
Back in January, I posted this deal from Proctor & Gamble (I don't know if they have the same ones available or others now, but...