Brady came home a few weeks ago telling me of a kindness he did and his new best friend because of it.
He comes home yesterday just as excited as can be. "I have another best friend!"
Let me back up though. The kid who he says is his new best friend has presented a teachable moment for Brady. I don't know this little guy's story. He sure is cute as can be.
He came to class a few weeks ago and stirred things up a bit. Brady came home one day and dropped the "f-bomb" on me. WHOA! He'd never said that word in his life, up until then I don't think he'd ever heard it. But it was clear he had no idea what it meant, had heard it said at school that day, saw the results of it and I guess wanted to see if I would react like all the other adults had. I did!
He's never said it again and I don't think he will. We discussed it at length and he realizes that it is the "King of Bad Words." He also has heard a few of the King's minions lately. Sigh. Thank goodness he immediately comes home and asks me about it.
But the situations the new kid has found himself in over the course of a couple of weeks allowed Brady and I to talk about how misbehavior can disrupt the entire classroom. Not only that, some of the kids who saw what the new guy was doing tried to do the same things and then they themselves ended up in LOTS of trouble.
It has allowed Brady to see why there are certain rules and what happens when they are broken.
Anyway, Brady did get in a little trouble talking during bus line up so he was sent to sit at the front of the bus until further notice. He spent all of kindergarten at the front of the bus, but has worked hard and this year's bus trips have mostly gone very very well.
So he found he was not alone up there at the front. His new friend was there too. And Brady shared his bus toys with his friend, which prompted a hug from the little guy. Also, last year Brady was required to not only sit up front but also wear a seat belt (there are only seat belts up front). This year he's not. But he saw that his little friend was wearing one, so Brady put his on too even though he didn't have to :)
I think it's cute, the two guys sitting up there with their seat belts on sharing bus toys, making a friendship and something positive even though they were up there as a consequence for something. We've prayed a lot for this little guy (and for Brady!) and from what I've heard he's doing a lot better. As always, thank you, God.
- ► 2017 (53)
- Biscuit Topped Chicken Pot Pie
- My $4 Mudd boots from Salvation Army store
- 5 reasons I choose not to homeschool
- Deals at Aldi and Dillons, through April 2
- 3 free snailmail Sunmaid raisin recipe books
- 6 reasons collecting is a good kid hobby
- When the problem is behavior, not learning
- ADHD: teacher's attitude makes all the difference
- Proctor & Gamble free samples: I got lots of them!...
- Winter's last gasp? We enjoyed it...
- Spring brings lots of work to do...
- A claim code test, please disregard
- Natural talent: Brady's Super Square
- Free stuff from Smiley360, Campbells new soups
- The same boots, 2 Goodwills, 10 years apart
- You know you're in a small town...homemade cookies...
- Finding contentment in what we have...
- God's my King of Rock 'n' roll, 47 songs
- Anxiety buster: Eat more almonds!
- Cool American environmentalist folk art
- This weeks Aldi and Dillons deals....
- Getting your way may not be best
- Day 44 Getting Off Paxil: All done
- Try Something New Thursday: Almonds!
- 1st grade homework help: Spelling, reading, writin...
- Spring is here, but snow is coming...
- A cool Memphis/Southern/American experience
- Cool church sign...
- You know you're in a small town when... lost dog
- When to act and when to sit back?
- Dillons and Aldi deals (March 13 - 19)
- Follow your dreams, find your niche
- Pandora: Free music website
- Finding faith is like falling in love
- Behavior booster: Finding common ground
- Good behavior: practice makes...a lot better!
- Weight loss tip: Grocery store salad bar
- Improving spelling ... teacher's advice worked!
- "Love chemicals" wear off after 12 to 18 months
- Music releases feel-good brain chemicals
- Funny things Brady says ... about dreams...
- 80 easy, frugal, healthy packed lunch ideas
- Behavior booster: teaching "inside voice"
- Positive self-talk & 2 sermons that changed my lif...
- Try Something New Thursday: Hummus
- The power of rewarding a kid...
- A good laugh about my patio garden pots...
- Behavior booster: Work as a team
- Diverse friends keep us from judging
- God bless understanding teachers
- Almost time for the garden!
- Teachable moments: the new kid at school
- This week's deals at Dillons
- Ask yourself, "What can I do for them?"
- Change your hair, change your outlook
- Funny things Brady says... about commercials...
- Sweet things Brady says... about being a parent......
- I love Little Critter books!
- Divorce Care support group: A wonderful resource
- Coaching kids to fight their own battles
- A powerful idea: You can't change others
- No-tech Saturday: An exception & crafts
- A strong marriage is your best parenting tool...
- Food allergies: 7 alternatives to coloring eggs
- Wisdom from my mom: God's entertainment
- Why keeping a landline phone is a good idea
- Organizing tip: Tissue boxes for grocery bags
- Bunny tracks in the house we're building
- ▼ March (68)
I cannot believe that this blog started three months ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to say. Well, LOL, I n...
According to this article, Wichita has received the 2nd largest snowfall on record, reaching so far 14.2 inches, with the highest being 15 ...
Today I want to start talking about a topic very near to my heart: postpartum depression. According to the agency I volunteer with, Postpart...
Apparently Brady has learned about "humus" - broken down organic matter which makes wonderful soil - as opposed to "hummu...
This post is a part of the Fantabulous Valentine's Day Favorites blog chain put together by a great group of bloggers. The theme ...
So a recent discovery, given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law, is Walgreens' knock-off perfumes. They have all kinds, like fake Opium...
There's a good guest post at the Money Saving Mom blog today . Here's an excerpt: "Because of increasing gasoline prices we n...
Do you like my little depiction of a "worry bully" over there? I think that's kind of what they look like sitting on some...
Saw this article today and they had some good ideas. I forgot peaches in my 100 low-cal snacks! Here's the link: Spark People 100 cal tr...
Back in January, I posted this deal from Proctor & Gamble (I don't know if they have the same ones available or others now, but...