Saturday, March 23, 2013

Finding contentment in what we have...

My church in Florida one Sunday gave out little key ring tags, the kind like you get as a loyalty card for your favorite grocery store. But this one says, "Contentment," on one side and on the other side it has a quote from the book Enough: Discovering Joy through Simplicity and Generosity.

I've never read the book, but think I just might. That one quote alone has been pretty powerful to me. I used to read it all the time until the key tag broke and couldn't be permanently affixed to my key ring anymore.

But I ran across it the other day and it is a reminder of how I want to live. Here it is:

"Lord, help me to be grateful for what I have, to remember that I don't need most of what I want, and that joy is found in simplicity and generosity."

I believe this with all my heart, but there are days I find myself wishing for more... of this or that, of everything. I forget that I truly am happy with what I have and there's very little I really need. That sometimes I want things just for the sake of wanting, not because it would add anything meaningful to my life. I don't need things just because I want them, and I don't need them just because they are there.

I hope this quote will help me remember, because I really am happier when I live that way. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts