Thursday, March 28, 2013

5 reasons I choose not to homeschool

When you have a child with struggles at school - whether it's learning or behavior, I can see the strong temptation to homeschool. In some ways it would be harder, but in some ways it would be much easier.

I know several people who have done it successfully, either because their child's temperament required it or because they just believed in it. I did a story on homeschooling for a local paper. I've seen the results of homeschooling with my two very bright and successful now-adult nieces.

I think homeschooling is a wonderful idea if you can do it and feel called to do it (And the Money Saving Mom has tons of great resources, freebies and information about it).

I've thought about it off and on over the years - and Brady begged me to do it all summer after his rough kindergarten year - but I ultimately came to the conclusion it wouldn't be best for us. I may change my mind someday, I guess, but for now I feel like public school is right for Brady. I was reaffirmed in this decision after the first day of first grade when Brady told me, "I love school!" He continues to love it despite ups and downs.

He told me the other day, "Me going to school is work just like you going to the office." He also tells me that his "work at school is very important." Today he told me, "Today's the Easter party. It's not as important as the work, they don't have to do it, but they want to." When he comes to a conclusion all on his own, in this case that his school work is important, it usually sticks hard.

So here's why:

1) We have a great small school. Our elementary school is really a very good school. It's small, kids get more attention than most, the teachers and principal live close by to us and we see them in town all the time, I'm able to call and email whenever I need to. The school is very well rated statewide too. We are very fortunate to have such a good resource here.

2) Brady and I have spent a lot of time alone, just the two of us, so we're very close. There were times it felt just like we were the only two people in the universe. This is really great in many ways, but I feel like we both need to experience our separate lives during the day. We need to have space and our own identities. We are healthier that way.

3) Brady needs practice with social skills. I know homeschoolers can have very active social lives, but we live in a small town with few opportunities to connect without driving a long way. He has to learn to interact with kids on the bus, at school, at day care, everywhere. He has grown so much in this area.

4) He needs to be challenged. Brady is a bright kid, and I could teach him a lot and challenge him. But I really do feel like he is better off with experts in each area of what he needs to learn. I can supplement that pretty well from home, but I feel like he will gain more if he is in an academic setting. I have this idea he will embrace college someday and for him, I think it will be a much easier transition if he's had a lot of experience in the academic setting.

5) He has to learn how to work with people he doesn't get along with. Brady is a creature of habit. He doesn't like change. If he was at home every day, he would revel in the sameness, he would immerse himself in our routine and never look back. That's great, except I think for him he'd be missing a crucial life skill, something he'd struggle with later. He needs to practice dealing with different people and personalities, handling change, experiencing the unexpected and learning to adjust. He will need those skills to be successful in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts