Thursday, March 21, 2013

Day 44 Getting Off Paxil: All done

About a month and a half ago, I started a journey of getting completely off of the anti-anxiety/anti-depressant med Paxil. I had been on it 3-1/2 years and just knew it was time. I was on a 20 mg dose, fairly low in the dosing scheme for Paxil. I went from 20 mg to 10 mg and experienced terrible dizziness, nausea and fatigue. That lasted about a week or so.

Then I went from 10 mg down to 5 mg. A little dizziness, but not much. I was on that dose for a long while (a teeny tiny quarter of the original pill) and two nights ago just stopped taking it altogether.

I'm happy to report I feel great. No dizziness. No emotional repercussions. My husband and I talked last night about it. He was worried the first week, especially with the dizziness and quicker emotional response, but said I'm not any different now than I was before. And I don't feel any different. Just great with more energy and better sleep and deeper feelings.

Not everyone can do this, I know, but for me focusing on using music, tea , less caffeine and other techniques for minimizing anxiety will be enough to manage it.

I feel it was a very good thing I did for myself and would just recommend to anyone doing that to NOT go cold turkey. The dizziness just cutting this low dose in half was really awful, to the point I wanted to cry about it. But it does go away. If you just give it some time and take it slow, that dizziness doesn't last and you'll adjust to any differences. I can vouch for that.

And now I go on with life's journey....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts