Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Sweet things Brady says... about being a parent...

For years Brady has taken whatever reward scheme I have going for him and turned it around and made one for me.

If he has a chart, he makes me a chart. If he has a prize box, he makes me a prize box filled with his own toys. I give him a $3.00 allowance per week and he gives me five dimes. I don't want to take his money of course, but it would hurt his feelings if I turned it down so I just use it on stuff for him.

He wants to take my parenting techniques and try them out and he doesn't have a little sibling to do it with, so he does it with me :) An odd deal since a kid can't parent the parent, but it helps him understand how whatever system we have works.

Last night he said the most amazing thing.

Brady: "Someday I might have a kid who gets into trouble sometimes."

Me: "Yes, you might."

B: "You know what Mommy. You have such good plans! I'm going to make a prize store for my kid too!"

Me: "That's awesome! I'm glad you like it. I'll bet they'll like it too."

B: "Some kids at school are so good they never have to pull pennies." He names them.

Me: "Well, making good choices comes easier for some kids."

B: "It's not easy for me to make good choices all the time."

Me: "I know, kiddo. It's okay. We're working on it. We're a team."

B: "I'm going to be a team with my kid someday too."

And then I hugged him just as hard as I could, both because he's so dang sweet and because I felt reassurance from his words that the things I'm doing (at least for the moment!) are having the impact I'd hoped for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts