Thursday, March 7, 2013

Almost time for the garden!

Last year was my first real attempt at a garden. This year I'm soooo excited to try again. It is a wonderful tool for a picky eater or a child with a food allergy and in general fantastic for a child's understanding of where food comes from.

Our garden season was plagued with drought, bugs, bunnies, birds, deer (they ate ALL my okra!). Oh my gosh. Brady and I babied that thing and tended it and thought about it. It was not the most successful garden ever but we sure loved it and learned from it.

This year I want to plant tomatoes, squash, peppers, carrots, cucumbers, pumpkins, okra, possibly strawberries, and a few sunflowers.

So I have been trying to start tomatoes and squash plants from seeds I saved last year and I have rows of egg cartons and NONE of them are growing. Sigh. Except one. One little pot with sunflower seeds has a guy poking his head out. 

You can see his photo below to the left. I was so happy I almost cried. I thought nobody would start growing in those pots. It's been very cold since I put the seeds in and not a lot of sun due to all the blizzards. Plus they're on our back enclosed patio, maybe they don't get enough sun.

But at least there is one little guy growing for me, and it fills me with thoughts of the garden. But of course we can't start on the garden until after the Invention Party on April 14 because the house we're building is in the garden, LOL. Oh boy, what a fun spring it will be.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts