Monday, September 2, 2013

Summer blueberry crisp

There are lots of reasons to love summer. But one of my favorites is that berries go on super sale and/or you can collect berries if you are lucky.

We were not lucky this year, so when Dillons had blueberries on sale for 99 cents per carton the other day I was SO excited. I think was the cheapest I've ever seen them.

So I bought 4 cartons, we ate some raw and the rest went into one of our favorite desserts, blueberry crisp.

This recipe came from a Turkey Hill ice cream advertisement in a magazine. I will give the amounts for the full recipe, but I have cut it down to 2/3 and even halved it to good effect.

Summer blueberry crisp

Ingredients:

6 cups fresh blueberries (I have substituted mulberries or combined blueberries and mulberries, and it was GREAT!)
3 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup oats
1-1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup cold butter

Directions: 

1. Preheat oven to 375. In large bowl, stir together 3 Tbsp flour and the sugar. Add blueberries and lemon juice. Toss gently to combine. Spread berry mixture evenly in ungreased 3-quart baking dish. Set aside.

2. For topping, in medium bowl combine brown sugar, 3/4 cup flour, oats and cinnamon. Using pastry blender (I use fork), cut in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over berry mixture.

3. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and edges are bubbly. Cool for 45 minutes on wire rack. Serve warm with ice cream or coolwhip! YUM!

 
 


14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It really was awesome :) And does have some healthy to it, LOL!

      Delete
  2. Yumm!! I love blueberry crisps, pies, or crumbles. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Major Yum! I will let my mom see this recipe! thanks for sharing! She also makes an apple crisp too, pretty much the same ingredients here- just apples vs blueberries! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious and my lil Madison loves blueberries. I'm sure she'll enjoy this as much as the other kids will. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great she loves them at such a young age. Brady has embraced strawberries but not blueberries yet.

      Delete
  5. This sounds so yummy. Blueberries are out of season here in FL no chance of finding a deal that good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw bummer :( If you have a Save a lot or Aldi nearby, they may have a good deal next summer. Or probably Publix will have super sale at some point.

      Delete
  6. Oh yum!!! I want a blueberry crisp now! I've got everything but the blueberries; I think I'll send my husband out to get some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I do the same thing. See a recipe and want to make it RIGHT THEN! Hope you got some! :)

      Delete
  7. This looks yummy and easy...my favorite combination!

    ReplyDelete

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts