There are lots of reasons to love summer. But one of my favorites is that berries go on super sale and/or you can collect berries if you are lucky.
We were not lucky this year, so when Dillons had blueberries on sale for 99 cents per carton the other day I was SO excited. I think was the cheapest I've ever seen them.
So I bought 4 cartons, we ate some raw and the rest went into one of our favorite desserts, blueberry crisp.
This recipe came from a Turkey Hill ice cream advertisement in a magazine. I will give the amounts for the full recipe, but I have cut it down to 2/3 and even halved it to good effect.
Summer blueberry crisp
6 cups fresh blueberries (I have substituted mulberries or combined blueberries and mulberries, and it was GREAT!)
3 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup oats
1-1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup cold butter
1. Preheat oven to 375. In large bowl, stir together 3 Tbsp flour and the sugar. Add blueberries and lemon juice. Toss gently to combine. Spread berry mixture evenly in ungreased 3-quart baking dish. Set aside.
2. For topping, in medium bowl combine brown sugar, 3/4 cup flour, oats and cinnamon. Using pastry blender (I use fork), cut in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over berry mixture.
3. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and edges are bubbly. Cool for 45 minutes on wire rack. Serve warm with ice cream or coolwhip! YUM!
- Guest posting: A financial fresh start
- Bloggers are a supportive group! Thank you!
- When a bright spirit touches you
- Breaded prairie chicken (or chicken breast) & grav...
- Small Town Tuesday: Fundraiser panic
- Flower to fabulous, and why I love wasps
- A day spent on the farm
- Why my picky eater eats veggies
- 2 ways to use fresh pumpkin
- Small Town Tuesday: Country cook-out
- Parents as Teachers: A learning play group
- Funny things Brady says... Pizza Pizza
- How a kid's passion can fuel education
- Success! Egg-free pumpkin pie
- When natures trusts you
- Rice krispie treats & free book? Double score!
- Small-town Tuesday: Afternoon bike ride
- How strangers see special needs kids
- Funny things Brady does ... sneaking Star Wars
- Try something new Thursday: butternut squash
- Frugal tip: watch for super berry sales
- A marriage: Then and now
- Lessons from church: JC is our ID
- Check out great recipes at link-up
- Summer blueberry crisp
- ▼ September (25)
I cannot believe that this blog started three months ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to say. Well, LOL, I n...
According to this article, Wichita has received the 2nd largest snowfall on record, reaching so far 14.2 inches, with the highest being 15 ...
Today I want to start talking about a topic very near to my heart: postpartum depression. According to the agency I volunteer with, Postpart...
Apparently Brady has learned about "humus" - broken down organic matter which makes wonderful soil - as opposed to "hummu...
This post is a part of the Fantabulous Valentine's Day Favorites blog chain put together by a great group of bloggers. The theme ...
So a recent discovery, given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law, is Walgreens' knock-off perfumes. They have all kinds, like fake Opium...
There's a good guest post at the Money Saving Mom blog today . Here's an excerpt: "Because of increasing gasoline prices we n...
Saw this article today and they had some good ideas. I forgot peaches in my 100 low-cal snacks! Here's the link: Spark People 100 cal tr...
Do you like my little depiction of a "worry bully" over there? I think that's kind of what they look like sitting on some...
Back in January, I posted this deal from Proctor & Gamble (I don't know if they have the same ones available or others now, but...