Thursday, September 26, 2013

When a bright spirit touches you

Have you ever brushed up against someone in life - during the course of your normal day - who had a burning bright spirit?

I was the lucky recipient of such a brush-up last week. In a pawn shop of all places. The person who started Underground Cafe to feed the hungry in Wichita, KS, was there receiving a donation.

This man was so full of God and life, it practically poured out of him and spilled onto everyone nearby. He told us his story in such a cheerful way with a laugh that carried through the room.

He's 65. His grandmother taught him to cook at age 12 in Louisiana. At 20, he went to Vietnam and - having been tasked with demolition work - when someone asked "Is there anyone here who can cook?" he jumped at the chance.

"I didn't know God was preparing me for this," he told my husband and I.

Well, "this" is a crazy successful ministry to feed the hungry. Every Wednesday he cooks for, at times, nearly 300 people, all done with donations and volunteer time.

"There are people who can't wait to get off work at 5 p.m. to come over and help out. I haven't had anyone volunteer to help cook though, but it's not me cooking, it's God. I don't even know each week what I'm going to make."

He told us, "When we started we fed 47 people and that was the last time it was only that many. Now it's more like 247."

This bright spirit opened the ministry one year ago. As he walked out of the store today, he bounced - the kind of bounce done by someone completely convinced and convicted of what they are doing. His spirit was infectious.

What a blessing to have known this person for just a few moments. Go on over and check out this ministry and what God is doing through it. 

21 comments:

  1. This struck me as really powerful: I haven't had anyone volunteer to help cook though, but it's not me cooking, it's God. I don't even know each week what I'm going to make.

    What a witness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His faith and praise was just amazing and inspiring. He was so certain of what he was doing.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful experience. It is always amazing to be in the presence of people who have such bright, shiny spirits and are doing everything they can to do His work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt very blessed and still think about it from time to time. Makes me want to do more and better.

      Delete
  3. Wow! It is a really special feeling when something touches you so much. What a blessing in your day and what a ministry he provides. thank you for sharing this special moment. :)

    ~Lorelai
    Life With Lorelai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A chance meeting like that can just lift your spirits and give you renewed hope in mankind! :)

      Delete
  4. I LOVE meeting people like that. We had a pastor in Iowa who is so full of life and zeal-you couldn't help but want to hang out with him. He left a lasting impression on all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool! Did you go to his church or just meet him in passing?

      Delete
  5. I bet he inspires others to be bright spirits, too. I love that it's contagious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet he inspires others to be bright spirits, too. I love that it's contagious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would jump in and help in a heartbeat. Thank you Lord, for placing such people in our lives, and arranging what seems like chance meetings, but really are YOUR hand guiding us to be encouraged and passionate about serving. :)
    THanks for sharing.
    ~Heather <3
    The Welcoming House Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I wish I lived closer as I would love to volunteer. It truly was a blessing to meet him.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Yeah I don't feel so bad anymore about cooking for 3, ha!

      Delete
  9. I love to hear when someone is full of helpful spirit!! Its a good feeling to help someone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, people like that make the world such a nicer, more beautiful place.

      Delete
  10. It's so nice reading blog posts that are positive, and about how others are helping each other out. Love how you always seem to spread the good news! XO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, thank you :) Too often I see hurriedness and detachment in the world, when someone does something really nice it just touches my heart and I want to share it.

      Delete
  11. Whatever we do in the name of God, God will do it for us, I think. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I totally agree! This man truly felt led to do what he is doing.

      Delete

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts