We were at the movies a couple weeks ago waiting to watch Epic. I was up buying a soda and Brady wanted to look at the arcade games. Okay, I said.
He returned after 5 minutes with wide eyes saying, "There's a game over there where a zombie's head exploded and blood flew everywhere!"
Turn away! Don't look!
So he stood by me staring straight ahead. Boy we were shocked. I had no idea they had games like that at a theater with kids shows. It never even occurred to me to check and see what games were there. Usually it's car driving games or claw machines or maybe a buck hunter game at the wildest.
But head-exploding blood-soaked zombies?
Now, all parents make different choices for their kids and it's no one's business to judge. But I know for my kid, games like that are NOT okay. Not ever, at least in my house. He has a very vivid imagination and holds on to details tightly. Those games would wake him up in the night. Those games would affect his mood.
Luckily he seems to realize this and doesn't seek them out (of course he's only 7, this may change in say, another 7 years). But sheesh, there it was at the movie theater!
I know I can't protect him from the violence portrayed in the world, but at least we can have a little sanctuary in our home. I told him, "Kid, I can't keep you from seeing that stuff in the world or maybe at a friend's house sometime, but we will not ever have those games in our house." I just can't do it.
And you know what his absolute, favorite, MUST-HAVE-TV-ON-AT-8 P.M. show is? Full House. That adorable little show that ran from 1987 to 1995 according to IMDB with baby twins Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen and John Stamos as the funny uncle.
I love his innocence and joy when he watches that cute show. It's so refreshing in our Sponge Bob (which he does watch sometimes), zombie, special-effects world. I hope it's his favorite for a long time to come.
- ► 2017 (53)
- Zombie games and the TV show Full House
- Food and kids as individuals
- Joy when a child's prayer is answered
- Jenni & Jody blog: For parents, 3 question correct...
- 8 ways to connect kids to food in the city
- Pointing out real life examples of integrity
- Marriage: Be a team in all you do
- Creamy avocado dip = awesome!
- Gardening tip: save rain water, teach kids reuse!
- Spelling city: Free online fun to help kids learn
- Six ways to keep learning in summer!
- Homemade pickled eggs
- America's wheat harvest is here!
- Reading success: Don't give up in summer
- It's mulberry gathering time, SOOO good!
- Church and the impact of Dads...
- Funny things Brady says... too many Hi's & summer
- Big kid bike: giving kids time to adjust
- Summer playdates keep us social!
- Some things boys learn early!
- Living by the rhythm of the Earth
- Teaching tool: Summer reading goals & rewards
- Smalltown U.S.A.: Our afternoon adventures
- Funny things Brady says ... mom's rules
- Summer is family reconnect time, how fun!
- Learning to hunt: Step 1, signed up for class!
- Funny things Brady says... brain development...
- Living with a chronic illness part 2: Coping
- Only in a small town ... sitting downtown
- Living with a chronic illness, part 1 of 2
- Offering a kindness when no one knows
- Garden woes: you'd think those plants were kids!
- Behavior toolbox: 26 ways we keep on track
- ▼ June (33)
I cannot believe that this blog started three months ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to say. Well, LOL, I n...
According to this article, Wichita has received the 2nd largest snowfall on record, reaching so far 14.2 inches, with the highest being 15 ...
Today I want to start talking about a topic very near to my heart: postpartum depression. According to the agency I volunteer with, Postpart...
Apparently Brady has learned about "humus" - broken down organic matter which makes wonderful soil - as opposed to "hummu...
This post is a part of the Fantabulous Valentine's Day Favorites blog chain put together by a great group of bloggers. The theme ...
So a recent discovery, given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law, is Walgreens' knock-off perfumes. They have all kinds, like fake Opium...
There's a good guest post at the Money Saving Mom blog today . Here's an excerpt: "Because of increasing gasoline prices we n...
Do you like my little depiction of a "worry bully" over there? I think that's kind of what they look like sitting on some...
Saw this article today and they had some good ideas. I forgot peaches in my 100 low-cal snacks! Here's the link: Spark People 100 cal tr...
Back in January, I posted this deal from Proctor & Gamble (I don't know if they have the same ones available or others now, but...