Monday, June 10, 2013

Teaching tool: Summer reading goals & rewards

The other day Brady got a bit frustrated with a book and said, "I hate reading books!" But it passed quickly and he finished reading the book to me.

I think the fact that we have a bunch of goals keeps him motivated beyond his frustration. I'm so happy he's such a goal-oriented kid.

These are our reading goals for the summer:

1) 350 pages for his school library's program.

2) 30 books for the city library's program.

3) The chance for one of four $25 prizes from the state's number-of-minutes library program.

4) A trip to Chuck-E-Cheese if he reaches the 350 page goal (which we are already 2/3 of the way toward achieving).

5) The weekly Reading Store from Mom. He absolutely loves being able to "buy" a special activity and treats that I won't normally supply for him like candy and pop. In fact the other day he said, "Have I read all 3 books today yet?" He wanted to make sure he did.

6) Summer school for reading. I think he wants to perform well at this too.

He's getting quicker and more confident at reading and that is the best reward of all :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts