Saturday, June 29, 2013

Zombie games and the TV show Full House

We were at the movies a couple weeks ago waiting to watch Epic. I was up buying a soda and Brady wanted to look at the arcade games. Okay, I said.

He returned after 5 minutes with wide eyes saying, "There's a game over there where a zombie's head exploded and blood flew everywhere!"

WHAT!

Turn away! Don't look!

So he stood by me staring straight ahead. Boy we were shocked. I had no idea they had games like that at a theater with kids shows. It never even occurred to me to check and see what games were there. Usually it's car driving games or claw machines or maybe a buck hunter game at the wildest.

But head-exploding blood-soaked zombies?

Now, all parents make different choices for their kids and it's no one's business to judge. But I know for my kid, games like that are NOT okay. Not ever, at least in my house. He has a very vivid imagination and holds on to details tightly. Those games would wake him up in the night. Those games would affect his mood.

Luckily he seems to realize this and doesn't seek them out (of course he's only 7, this may change in say, another 7 years). But sheesh, there it was at the movie theater!

I know I can't protect him from the violence portrayed in the world, but at least we can have a little sanctuary in our home. I told him, "Kid, I can't keep you from seeing that stuff in the world or maybe at a friend's house sometime, but we will not ever have those games in our house." I just can't do it.

And you know what his absolute, favorite, MUST-HAVE-TV-ON-AT-8 P.M. show is? Full House. That adorable little show that ran from 1987 to 1995 according to IMDB with baby twins Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen and John Stamos as the funny uncle. 

I love his innocence and joy when he watches that cute show. It's so refreshing in our Sponge Bob (which he does watch sometimes), zombie, special-effects world. I hope it's his favorite for a long time to come.

12 comments:

  1. My husband and I can't believe how bad tv has gotten. We love watching all the older shows now. There are only a couple of new shows on tv that we care to watch. He might like Andy Griffith or Leave it to Beaver. Even Disney has gotten out of control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is terrible! I adore PBS, most of the shows there are wonderful, IMO. We used to have Noggin and I liked that. But Disney and Nick are full of commercials, sometimes for the movie World War Z! Those are good shows you mentioned, have you ever seen 7th Heaven? That was a good show.

      Delete
  2. It's so hard to shield them from all that is out there, isn't it? And what's out there is so much more sexual and violent than when we were growing up. Uugh. Some days it makes me want to go live under a rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you have to teach them as much as you can so they can filter what they see out in the world.

      Delete
  3. So sweet that he loves Full House! I remember liking that show back when it was on and "new."!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a cute show! I had forgotten the good family lessons in it until I see it now through his eyes.

      Delete
  4. I try and monitor what my kids watch as well and TV viewing is very limited in my house. Gone are the days of Flintstones and the Jetsons. When I tell my friends that Madison doesn't watch TV unless it's Baby First TV, I get weird looks and statements such as "Nick and Disney Jr has great shows". Maybe they do but my toddler isn't old enough to "get" them. I'd much rather read a book with her and she loves that. She'd much prefer running around outside and reading than watch TV anyway. Sorry to ramble on but seems like you have a well rounded young man there. All the best to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had Noggin when Brady was younger and PBS. He didn't even see a commercial until he was about 6 and we moved here. Kids don't know they're missing anything if they've never had it, and really they aren't. I'm just glad Brady wanted to run over and tell me rather than watch it over and over, LOL!

      Delete
  5. I know I've been horrified by some of the commercials that come on during shows that are family-friendly. I think we were watching Wipeout and they kept showing promos for that Scandal show about extramarital affairs and bed hopping! What?! Look away indeed!

    P.S. My 6yo loves Full House. And I love that the girls on that show, even as they grow up, are very normal (i.e. not anorexic or sexy) looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and World War Z, the zombie movie! Brady has seen commercials for that and I can only imagine it was on Nick. There are also commercials for One Life to Live! What! An adult soap on a kid's channel!

      Full House is really a cute show.

      Delete
  6. I don't let my guys watch or play the zombie stuff either. They creep me out. I don't think my 6 & 8 year olds could handle it.
    :) Cindy @ www.lifegetsreal.co

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know someday, when he's 15 or so and has his own money, he may have other ideas and go to the movies, but by then he will (hopefully) have the maturity and ability to process it and move on. But I'll shield him as long as I can, LOL!

      Delete

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts