Sunday, June 16, 2013

It's mulberry gathering time, SOOO good!

Mulberries are already coming ripe and I can hardly believe it!

We have about 4 locations that we regularly check throughout the summer and I can end up with cups and cups of these sweet dark berries.

I love this kind of modern day gathering. It's free, it's exercise, it's healthy and it's providing food for our family straight from tree to plate. No pesticides. No travel time. Just us and food. I love for Brady to see that connection whenever possible.

Here's my first harvest of the year. I soak them overnight to get out any stray buggies or dirt, then I rinse them and spread them out on a tray and freeze them.

When they're good and frozen, I snap the stems off one by one and transfer them to a freezer bag to use later. They are good on cereal, in yogurt, in muffins, pancakes or waffles, with whipped topping or in a pie. Pie pictures from last year's harvest are below. If you have any nearby to you, don't let them go to waste!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts