The best thing about summer is being able to reconnect as a family.
During the school year, there is such a hurry-hurry, keep-moving-forward momentum to our days and the pressure of worrying about behavior issues.
But in the summer we just get to "be."
And I always rediscover just how cool my little guy is. To the left here, we are at the latest in a long line of doctors over the years. We changed to one much closer to us and went through the hour-long initial appointment where I explain all our troubles again.
Brady is such a good sport at these, but mostly he loves investigating whatever new toys the new place has. He made a gear assembly he called a "clock" and then stuck a little wooden peg in it so it wouldn't turn. Ha! Little engineer.
He's also been giving the Vulcan symbol and saying, "Live Long and Prosper," to everyone. I just can't believe he really does embrace my love of Star Trek! Yay! It was too much to hope for.
But yesterday in the car, he did it with both hands and then told me, "Well, now that I've been able to do this for 3 days, we're not so impressed anymore."
Yesterday he also befriended an adorable 2-year-old girl in Spangles and they shared a booth alone (flanked on either side by her parents and us in other booths, LOL) while they ate and he showed her how to use his Vreader. He has such a kind heart. He tells me he wants to be a teacher and I think he'd be a good one.
And my favorite thing he's said lately as we were on the way to the office to work for the day. I bring his Nintendo DS but he isn't allowed to play it until we're at the office.
I also brought along a backpack with his Vreader, games, calculator, books, pen and paper. I told him during the drive he could pick whatever he wanted out of there or we could just talk.
He didn't miss a beat and said,"I'd want to just talk to you!"
And we did. All 45 minutes of the drive to the office. Those are my favorite times of the summer.
- Zombie games and the TV show Full House
- Food and kids as individuals
- Joy when a child's prayer is answered
- Jenni & Jody blog: For parents, 3 question correct...
- 8 ways to connect kids to food in the city
- Pointing out real life examples of integrity
- Marriage: Be a team in all you do
- Creamy avocado dip = awesome!
- Gardening tip: save rain water, teach kids reuse!
- Spelling city: Free online fun to help kids learn
- Six ways to keep learning in summer!
- Homemade pickled eggs
- America's wheat harvest is here!
- Reading success: Don't give up in summer
- It's mulberry gathering time, SOOO good!
- Church and the impact of Dads...
- Funny things Brady says... too many Hi's & summer
- Big kid bike: giving kids time to adjust
- Summer playdates keep us social!
- Some things boys learn early!
- Living by the rhythm of the Earth
- Teaching tool: Summer reading goals & rewards
- Smalltown U.S.A.: Our afternoon adventures
- Funny things Brady says ... mom's rules
- Summer is family reconnect time, how fun!
- Learning to hunt: Step 1, signed up for class!
- Funny things Brady says... brain development...
- Living with a chronic illness part 2: Coping
- Only in a small town ... sitting downtown
- Living with a chronic illness, part 1 of 2
- Offering a kindness when no one knows
- Garden woes: you'd think those plants were kids!
- Behavior toolbox: 26 ways we keep on track
- ▼ June (33)
I cannot believe that this blog started three months ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to say. Well, LOL, I n...
According to this article, Wichita has received the 2nd largest snowfall on record, reaching so far 14.2 inches, with the highest being 15 ...
Today I want to start talking about a topic very near to my heart: postpartum depression. According to the agency I volunteer with, Postpart...
Apparently Brady has learned about "humus" - broken down organic matter which makes wonderful soil - as opposed to "hummu...
So a recent discovery, given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law, is Walgreens' knock-off perfumes. They have all kinds, like fake Opium...
This post is a part of the Fantabulous Valentine's Day Favorites blog chain put together by a great group of bloggers. The theme ...
There's a good guest post at the Money Saving Mom blog today . Here's an excerpt: "Because of increasing gasoline prices we n...
Saw this article today and they had some good ideas. I forgot peaches in my 100 low-cal snacks! Here's the link: Spark People 100 cal tr...
Do you like my little depiction of a "worry bully" over there? I think that's kind of what they look like sitting on some...
Back in January, I posted this deal from Proctor & Gamble (I don't know if they have the same ones available or others now, but...