Friday, June 7, 2013

Learning to hunt: Step 1, signed up for class!

So in the state of Kansas, "Anyone born on or after July 1, 1957 must be certified by an approved course in hunter education before they can hunt."

I am starting a new journey this week as I just signed up for that course. I will complete an online portion and then in August, I will participate in a 6-hour field day to complete my certification. Just in time for turkey season.

I think hunting is a very responsible way to acquire meat. The hunter takes personal responsibility for their food and sees first hand the sacrifice the animal makes, albeit unwillingly. It has lived free until becoming food for us. A child learns exactly what happens in the circle of life. We bypass the production and chemicals of store-bought meat. And if that age-old sci-fi movie prediction of apocalypse comes to pass, well, at least we have the skills to make do for awhile.

We are also continuing an ancient human tradition of hunting and providing food for ourselves independent of someone else. The tools are different now, but the idea is the same.

I'm not ready for mammals yet, but I would like to try a variety of game birds, starting with dove and wild turkey. Here are photos of dishes I've cooked in the last year from meat hubby has procured: turkey fingers and grilled-bacon wrapped dove. Yum!

 

2 comments:

  1. Impressive. :). I want to learn how to use a cross bow. I'm not up to hunting yet though. Good luck & keep us posted on your progress.
    Cindy
    www.lifegetsreal.co

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A crossbow would be exciting! We have a friend who only bow hunts and he loves it. This will be an interesting journey.

      Delete

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts