As a Mom, I have two feelings that war inside me as it relates to my kiddo. He's an only child, likely to stay that way, and so this is my one shot at parenting.
The struggle is this:
Feeling one: He's my little boy and I want to cherish every moment he is young and relies on me (he's 7 right now). He'll grow up so fast and then won't need me.
Feeling two: I need to teach him to solve his own problems and start the journey toward growing up and becoming independent.
I really believe feeling two is the way to go. There seem to be lots of kids who want to be independent early in life and do things on their own. Brady's not one of them.
There were not too many, "Me do it!" statements when he was littler. Even now, at 7, he'd probably be happy to let Mom get him dressed and brush his teeth. Ha!
So it is up to me to encourage his independence whenever I can, even if he doesn't want me to or maybe even if I don't want me to.
But it works! The other day he spilled some milk. He looked at me and said, "I spilled milk!" I said, "Well, go get the wash cloth and clean it up." So he did. I could have even taken it a step further and just said, "Well, what can you do about it?" and let him come up with the solution himself. Note to self: do that next time!
The very next day he was playing on the computer in the back room and I heard him rummaging around in the kitchen. "Watcha doing?" I asked.
"I spilled some milk and I'm cleaning it up."
Yay! He learned. As always, they look to us to teach them how to solve their problems. And if we've done a good job, the next time they solve it on their own.
- ► 2017 (53)
- Our raging river and hearty okra
- KS flood photos: the river broke free!
- Guest posting: What gardens teach kids
- The wonder of Colorado's natural beauty
- KS weather keeps you on your toes
- Homemade pizza: easy, cheap & gourmet!
- Easy stewed Squash, Tomatoes, Peppers and Okra
- Snoopy's wise words: Be yourself
- Cicada music and firefly light show
- What is your kid's currency?
- Sweet things Brady says... about Mom's love...
- Encouragement parenting and the spirited child
- Guest posting: 70 ways to get outdoors
- Having grace when your feelings are hurt
- Doubled reading goal = 1st Chuck E. Cheese trip!
- Homemade ice cream in a bag in 5 minutes!
- Easy crockpot chicken and rice
- On my way learning to hunt
- A double nomination? I'm a lucky girl!
- 100+ degrees? Put the pool & sprinkler in shade
- Pen pals: A lost tradition?
- Kid confidence builder: our drawing work
- Small town scare: Escaped prisoner in town?
- Wisdom from my Mom: Begging? Tell kids what YOU wa...
- Quick baking tip: too-dark pie crust blanket
- Preserving family memories: our rock jars
- Problem solving: the case of the spilled milk
- Small-town 4th of July
- Co-schooling: We can help educate our kids
- Wisdom from my Mom: teach it all by age 15
- Bossy or sassy? Let's have a do-over and rephrase
- Roasted salmon with smoked paprika
- Harvest excitement: where your bread comes from!
- Food allergies: be diligent! He almost had egg!
- ▼ July (34)
I cannot believe that this blog started three months ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to say. Well, LOL, I n...
According to this article, Wichita has received the 2nd largest snowfall on record, reaching so far 14.2 inches, with the highest being 15 ...
Today I want to start talking about a topic very near to my heart: postpartum depression. According to the agency I volunteer with, Postpart...
Apparently Brady has learned about "humus" - broken down organic matter which makes wonderful soil - as opposed to "hummu...
This post is a part of the Fantabulous Valentine's Day Favorites blog chain put together by a great group of bloggers. The theme ...
So a recent discovery, given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law, is Walgreens' knock-off perfumes. They have all kinds, like fake Opium...
There's a good guest post at the Money Saving Mom blog today . Here's an excerpt: "Because of increasing gasoline prices we n...
Do you like my little depiction of a "worry bully" over there? I think that's kind of what they look like sitting on some...
Saw this article today and they had some good ideas. I forgot peaches in my 100 low-cal snacks! Here's the link: Spark People 100 cal tr...
Back in January, I posted this deal from Proctor & Gamble (I don't know if they have the same ones available or others now, but...