Thursday, August 1, 2013

Stuffed patty pan squash

These squash came from a neighbor's garden. So far we've gotten tomatoes, patty pans, yellow squash and peppers. I love this time of year!

The hail took out a lot of gardens though, so we may not get much more.

You could use this recipe for stuffed zucchini too probably and maybe other squash. Here goes.

Stuffed patty pan squash

2 large patty pans
3/4 cup ground meat (I used seasoned venison)
1 to 2 cups rice (I like a lot of rice)
Chicken broth
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Salt, pepper, garlic powder
Shredded cheese
* You could also add diced onion or fresh garlic instead of powder

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook rice in broth based on package directions, depending on amount of rice. Slice top of patty pans off and dig out insides (reserve for later), leaving 1/4 to 1/2 inch on the inside. Season inside with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Set in greased pan and bake 15 to 20 minutes.

Brown meat, add part of scooped squash, Parmesan cheese and rice. (Add onions and fresh garlic if using). Once heated through, stuff into patty pan and bake another 15 to 20 minutes. Then melt cheese on top. Good and good for you.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! I wonder if my kids would eat it if hubby prepared it. I like giving him new recipes to try since he loves to cook. If we ever do this I'll be sure to let you know how it turned out. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool he loves to cook! Mine does too either smoking or on the grill. And when he helps me in the kitchen and we collaborate, whatever it is turns out better than if I'd done it on my own :) Yes, do let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
  2. I NEVER thought to stuff patty pans! We got about 50 of them through our CSA a couple years ago and by the end of the season, we were so sick of them we just gave them away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow---at first I could not tell what the picture was on my FB feed, but now that I can see it up close, it is awesomely good looking! We stuff all different kinds of squash in the fall/winter! This one looks yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    Blessings to you,
    ~Heather @ The Welcoming House Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tasted fantastic! Such a nice mix of flavors. I want to grow spaghetti squash next year.

      Delete
  4. Hi Stephanie. These look great. We do a stuffed acorn squash, but this sounds great too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. LOL, I didn't either until I moved to KS and my in-laws neighbor grows them every year. They look like space ships/flying saucers.

      Delete

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts