It's rare for me to feel "old." I'm 42 and happy and proud of my age and that I've made it this far and that I feel better than any other time in my life. I have no qualms telling anyone my age.
I think age should be celebrated, not feared and pitied and ridiculed as it often seems to be in our society. Moving forward in age means a blessing of longer life, a wealth of knowledge, a strength of spirit.
But every once in awhile something happens and it's like *whap upside the head* guess you're not a spring chicken anymore, huh?
My conversation with fresh-faced, wide-eyed 19-ish cute kid guy sitting next to me on the plane:
Him: "Where are you headed?"
Me: "To pick up my son. He's been at his dad's for 3-1/2 weeks and has to start school in a week."
Kid Guy, very earnestly: "Oh, high school or college?"
Me, laughing: "No, SECOND GRADE!"
The kid looks at me funny like this isn't possible.
Me: "He's only 7."
Kid: "Oh, wow!"
Okay, I know that TECHNICALLY I could have a kid in college (like this very guy sitting next to me!), but I don't yet! He's only 7! I was 34, okay, when I had him, Mr. Young Guy To Whom I look Old!!
It actually was very funny and perhaps a lesson for him not to assume anything, ha!
- ► 2017 (53)
- Food allergies: A sad story from California
- Sweet things Brady says... God is real
- ADHD resources: a link to allergies & asthma?
- Funny things Brady does... his new school rule
- Spiritual boost? Try women's fellowship conference...
- How I know I've found a great sitter
- Thinking of a shortie haircut? Go for it!
- Summer days are made for water
- Easy marinated cucumbers
- How my seat-mate made me feel old!
- Can squash bugs gloat? Are okra zombie plants?
- Summer recipe, Crispy Fried Okra
- Mother Nature's a fickle... Lady
- Low-cal treat: Granola "sundae"
- Life is full with a child in it
- Funny things Brady says... allergy-go-away-inator
- Can't sleep? Count your blessings
- Sweet things Brady says... Princess Leia and me
- Marriage & finances: You had me at Dave Ramsey
- Driving in KS: Corollas & mud don't mix
- Versatility matters: 2nd blog award!
- It's official: I'm licensed to hunt
- Chuck E. Cheese rewards calendars
- Guest posting: Easy Healthy Crockpot Gumbo
- For next summer: Reading programs abound
- DIY: Making a marble scarf necklace
- 10 reasons every couple should camp
- Stuffed patty pan squash
- ▼ August (28)
I cannot believe that this blog started three months ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to say. Well, LOL, I n...
According to this article, Wichita has received the 2nd largest snowfall on record, reaching so far 14.2 inches, with the highest being 15 ...
Today I want to start talking about a topic very near to my heart: postpartum depression. According to the agency I volunteer with, Postpart...
This post is a part of the Fantabulous Valentine's Day Favorites blog chain put together by a great group of bloggers. The theme ...
Apparently Brady has learned about "humus" - broken down organic matter which makes wonderful soil - as opposed to "hummu...
So a recent discovery, given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law, is Walgreens' knock-off perfumes. They have all kinds, like fake Opium...
There's a good guest post at the Money Saving Mom blog today . Here's an excerpt: "Because of increasing gasoline prices we n...
Do you like my little depiction of a "worry bully" over there? I think that's kind of what they look like sitting on some...
We try to teach our kids a lot of things. Sometimes it feels like there is too much. Eat healthy food. Brush your teeth. Be polite. Be pat...
Saw this article today and they had some good ideas. I forgot peaches in my 100 low-cal snacks! Here's the link: Spark People 100 cal tr...