Monday, August 26, 2013

How I know I've found a great sitter

A wonderful photo appeared on Facebook last week attached to my name. It was my boy eating edible chocolate clay his sitter made. He looked so happy that it made me feel happy. 

When I pick him up after school, he is happy, he is comfortable, he wants to STAY! Come later tomorrow Mom! Some days he's playing the Wii or watching over her younger brother's Kindle as he plays games.

Other times they're playing Uno, baking cookies or chasing the dog around.

I think there is no greater comfort as a mother who works than to find someone you can trust to care for your child.

I am the lucky recipient of such a person.

And not only that, best best of all, my son's sitter comes from a very God-centered home and is very God-centered herself. I am humbled that I could not ask for anything, anything, more than this.

We are so blessed. This is someone he already loves and I think he'll always remember.

So, how can you know if your child is in a great child care setting that fits your family and needs? Here are a few of my ideas on this based on experience with great and not-so-great care in the past:
  • He or she seems relaxed, happy, comfortable, loved. 
  • They want to STAY FOREVER!
  • They are engaged in a variety of activities on different days when you come to get them. 
  • There are rules, discipline and consequences, but done in a loving way with guidance as the goal. 
  • Communication between you and the caregiver is frequent and open, on both sides. 
  • Your child talks about her time with the sitter, shares stories. 
  • Your child easily answers your questions about his or her time there with no hesitation. 
  • He can't wait to go back! 
  • YOU feel good personally when you pick them up, not worried or anxious about "how things went."
  • If it's in-home, they feel like a part of the family when they are there. 
  • If in-home, the person seems very responsible in their own life. 
  • If it's a day care, they feel cared for there and not singled out yet also not neglected.
  • If it's a day care, they are treated as an individual and their individual needs are met, not a one-size-fits-all approach to child care. 
  • All physical needs are met: owwies, snacks, water.
  • He can be himself and communicate without fear to his caregivers.
  • He feels heard if he has a concern.
  • The child care workers are open to your ideas and suggestions, and willing to try different discipline techniques. 
  • Their basic life and child-rearing philosophy goes along with your own and what you want your child to learn. 


20 comments:

  1. It's when they don't want to come away that you know that you have found a wonderful place for your child! Glad to know that you found yours too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is such a comfort! I never feel bad that he loves it there and wants to stay :) He wouldn't want to stay somewhere he didn't feel so comfortable and loved.

      Delete
  2. That was interesting to read as I do a little babysitting out of my house--only 3 children right now. I make sure they are a good fit for us, and even though the extra money helps us out, I see it as a ministry to them as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting to see it from the babysitters perspective. You have to make sure it's good from your end as well. And it definitely is ministry, I totally believe that.

      Delete
  3. Awww, it's so nice to have good people to care for your children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! It's hard to trust someone with your child's care.

      Delete
  4. I need to find a sitter for my two toddlers. It has been forever since the hubs and I have had a date night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't say that I've ever had a sitter for my kids where they begged to stay. What a wonderful person for your son to hang out with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Brady had rarely done that in the past, though it was usually group care. We had to make a rule if he fusses when it's time to go, not TV at home, LOL.

      Delete
  6. Your sitter sounds awesome! It is hard to find someone you can really trust and feel comfortable with. Also I want to hear more about this edible chocolate clay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly! It's an easy recipe, she said. Basically just chocolate chips and corn syrup!

      Delete
  7. That's how my son is during the summer YMCA summer care program. He wants get there early and be the last one to go home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so great. Then you know they are being treated well and having fun.

      Delete
  8. Nice to have somebody take care of kids sometimes, as we can do something else. However, we need to be really sensitive and quite alerted with any "harmful" (maybe too extreme) change of the helper. We cannot trust anybody 100% to take care of kids based on my experience. ANyway, it is really great as we can be more productive:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I work outside the home so it is a necessity for me during the week. This happens to be a longtime family friend from our church so we know them well :) You are right, we have to be very careful.

      Delete
  9. The only childcare we had was when our oldest went to "daycare" with my husband's Aunt. He loved it for the short time he was there... I never felt comfortable in any of the "centers" we ever visited! Now they are home with me all the time so I guess I don't have to worry! This is a great list if we ever go back to looking for childcare, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm not sure I trust any of the centers. Had two really bad experiences, but one that was good. The really good one was at a church but so was one of the bad ones.

      Delete
  10. I am glad you found a great sitter! :) I bet that gives you such peace of mind, and it looks as though your son is having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my yes, lots of peace of mind. It's a great situation for us and I hope she can keep watching him!

      Delete

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts