Monday, August 12, 2013

Can't sleep? Count your blessings

This week I had a rather unpleasant meeting scheduled for 7 a.m. Wednesday morning. It was something I really didn't want to do but knew I had to do.

The night before I could NOT sleep. I tossed and turned. My mind raced. I could not relax. I tried reading. I drank tea. Gosh I hate those nights.

Eventually I was almost in tears. When it's late and you're tired and keyed up about something going on early the next day, it's easy to ask, "God, why won't you let me sleep?" Somewhere in he back of my mind , I heard, "Be humble."

Isn't that strange? So I stepped back from myself and my concerns, and I started counting my blessings. Everything I could think of. My son, husband, family, in-laws, friends. I thought of my pets, our home, our health, the rain. I thanked God for my okra this year, my carrots. Anything and everything I could think of.

As I forced myself to recount all the things that were RIGHT in  my life, I drifted off to sleep, my mind wrapped up in them like a blanket. I just hope I remember it next time.

18 comments:

  1. Thank you for reminding me to count my blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Peace can be ours as we put our trust in the Lord and follow his voice. I will have to try this the next time I can't sleep.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I wish I had an easier time with the trust thing but I forget a lot. Thank God that He reminds me when I need it most.

      Delete
  3. I'm like you, I can't sleep if I know I have something that causes anxiety the next day. This is great advice to pray and be thankful for all we have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's so frustrating! Drives me crazy! My hubby is like "Goodni...." ZZZZZZZ. How can he do that???

      Delete
  4. That's a reminder we each need: be humble, be grateful, and turning to our Father in Heaven. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great reminder to be grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier to worry or complain, but so much better to praise and give thanks.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Ugh. I hate them! I've had them on and off forever.

      Delete
  7. I can say that I've had a few of those nights as well. It is a great reminder to count our blessings one by one. Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, they are NO fun! Hope your week is going well too :)

      Delete
  8. Thank you for this reminder, Stephanie. I actually had a really sleepless night the other night. Wish I would have remembered this advice then, cuz it probably would have helped me relax enough to fall asleep! It is so important to remind ourselves to be humble too and trust God with the circumstances. I'm taking a big test today and needed that peace-giving reminder. Hope your meeting goes (or went?) well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you have those nights too! It's the worst feeling, helpless really. But then I got my answer and I'm so grateful for that. The meeting was necessary and all it could be. It was my moment to voice concerns and disappointments about how something was handled related to my son. Don't know what it will or will not do, but I was heard. I hope your test went well!

      Delete
  9. That's beautiful to count your blessings instead of focussing on what needs to be done, it'll set you up in a whole new frame of mind :-) I'll remember this the next time I can't sleep (likely tonight as I'm going through a period of insomnia). Sweet dreams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Takes me awhile to remember to do so though :) I hope you're sleeping better by now!

      Delete

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts