Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Easy marinated cucumbers

As I mentioned about my gardening adventures, we are finally - after much ordeal - getting cukes! Yay!

Eating them plain is fine or with salt, but hubby and I love them marinated. This recipe is kind of a combination of my mother in law's advice and perusing a few online.

Easy Marinated Cucumbers

Ingredients: 

1 large cucumber, sliced thin and layered in a bowl
Enough water to just cover cucumber slices
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt

* Note: We rarely use raw onions, but a lot of people slice onions in with this and maybe even tomatoes too. Alter any of the measurements to your taste. I don't like to use too much onion or garlic powder for us, and you may want more salt or sugar depending on the flavor you like. This turned out just perfect for us.

Mix it all together really well and let sit at least overnight. When you eat 'em all up, add more sliced cucumbers to the liquid for another batch!


19 comments:

  1. I loved marinated cucumbers but haven't made them in years. I have grown really fond of just slicing and eating them, with perhaps a small amount of salt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum I have been looking for a recipe like this! Thanks for sharing :)

    Angel @ Household Savvy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cucumbers. They always have to be in my Subway sandwiches and my salads. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too! My mom said she has a Scottish friend who would have friends over for tea and serve cucumber sandwiches :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing this! A good friend of mine makes this all the the time, and I LOVE them! I think it's my turn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! My mom made these while I was growing up and put onion slices in with the cucumbers. Dang I miss my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this sounds fabulous. My husband likes them with the creamy sauce over them, but I think I would probably prefer this one instead. Planning on trying it, and thanks for sharing with us!
    ~Heather @ The Welcoming House Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well this sounds interesting, I've never heard of this before. I don't think it's a dish for me but it might get mu Husband to eat cucumbers! Thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks nice and easy. It may even get me to eat cucumbers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds interesting! I've been eating alot of cucumbers lately, as they have been producing like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that wonderful when they come from the garden! Yay!

      Delete

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts