I love living in a small town (less than 1,000). Word gets around town fast. A kindergartner went missing one winter night and within an hour half the town was mobilized and looking for him.
Our dog went missing and we knew within a few minutes someone who had seen him and where.
But it can work the same for rumors too. The other day someone in town had heard there was an escaped prisoner headed our way. One person told another and so on until it showed up on Facebook. When I saw it, I was 45 minutes away and my son was at home with my mom. ACK!
So I immediately called them and of course couldn't get them on the phone and was imagining them in the clutches of the depraved mad man and was about to send my father-in-law over to find them when finally Mom called back.
So I had her go inside and lock all the doors, but not before she talked to a kid hanging out at the neighbors' house who was the son of the local highway patrolman, who said, "Yeah, my dad told me." But he was not at all concerned.
Hmmmmm. This was the first clue.
As it turned out, it wasn't exactly an escaped prisoner headed for our town. It was a parole violator who was somewhere in the area.
But it did make for an interesting afternoon.
- Our raging river and hearty okra
- KS flood photos: the river broke free!
- Guest posting: What gardens teach kids
- The wonder of Colorado's natural beauty
- KS weather keeps you on your toes
- Homemade pizza: easy, cheap & gourmet!
- Easy stewed Squash, Tomatoes, Peppers and Okra
- Snoopy's wise words: Be yourself
- Cicada music and firefly light show
- What is your kid's currency?
- Sweet things Brady says... about Mom's love...
- Encouragement parenting and the spirited child
- Guest posting: 70 ways to get outdoors
- Having grace when your feelings are hurt
- Doubled reading goal = 1st Chuck E. Cheese trip!
- Homemade ice cream in a bag in 5 minutes!
- Easy crockpot chicken and rice
- On my way learning to hunt
- A double nomination? I'm a lucky girl!
- 100+ degrees? Put the pool & sprinkler in shade
- Pen pals: A lost tradition?
- Kid confidence builder: our drawing work
- Small town scare: Escaped prisoner in town?
- Wisdom from my Mom: Begging? Tell kids what YOU wa...
- Quick baking tip: too-dark pie crust blanket
- Preserving family memories: our rock jars
- Problem solving: the case of the spilled milk
- Small-town 4th of July
- Co-schooling: We can help educate our kids
- Wisdom from my Mom: teach it all by age 15
- Bossy or sassy? Let's have a do-over and rephrase
- Roasted salmon with smoked paprika
- Harvest excitement: where your bread comes from!
- Food allergies: be diligent! He almost had egg!
- ▼ July (34)
I cannot believe that this blog started three months ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to say. Well, LOL, I n...
According to this article, Wichita has received the 2nd largest snowfall on record, reaching so far 14.2 inches, with the highest being 15 ...
Today I want to start talking about a topic very near to my heart: postpartum depression. According to the agency I volunteer with, Postpart...
Apparently Brady has learned about "humus" - broken down organic matter which makes wonderful soil - as opposed to "hummu...
So a recent discovery, given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law, is Walgreens' knock-off perfumes. They have all kinds, like fake Opium...
There's a good guest post at the Money Saving Mom blog today . Here's an excerpt: "Because of increasing gasoline prices we n...
This post is a part of the Fantabulous Valentine's Day Favorites blog chain put together by a great group of bloggers. The theme ...
Do you like my little depiction of a "worry bully" over there? I think that's kind of what they look like sitting on some...
Saw this article today and they had some good ideas. I forgot peaches in my 100 low-cal snacks! Here's the link: Spark People 100 cal tr...
Back in January, I posted this deal from Proctor & Gamble (I don't know if they have the same ones available or others now, but...