My mom had a good idea when it comes to kids begging for stuff at the store.
Long before I came along, she had 3 boys - each 18 months apart - and when they went to the store, they would invariably see something they wanted. A toy, candy, whatever.
So when they would whine, "I want that!" she would calmly say, "Wait. Let me tell you what I want first. I'd love a new dishwasher and maybe some new clothes and new pots and pans and..."
Instead of getting upset, she would turn it around and give them all a litany of what she wanted that she didn't get. Ha! I love it!
She said they finally got tired of hearing it and stopped asking. I do that sometimes with Brady but since it's just him and he is, I'm quite certain, a future debate champion, it turns into some long drawn out discussion about why I don't go and get those things and then that leads to financial and economic discussions. Ugh.
So usually I just say, "Well, next time bring your own money and you can buy it!"
- December (3)
- November (10)
- October (27)
- September (25)
- August (28)
- Our raging river and hearty okra
- KS flood photos: the river broke free!
- Guest posting: What gardens teach kids
- The wonder of Colorado's natural beauty
- KS weather keeps you on your toes
- Homemade pizza: easy, cheap & gourmet!
- Easy stewed Squash, Tomatoes, Peppers and Okra
- Snoopy's wise words: Be yourself
- Cicada music and firefly light show
- What is your kid's currency?
- Sweet things Brady says... about Mom's love...
- Encouragement parenting and the spirited child
- Guest posting: 70 ways to get outdoors
- Having grace when your feelings are hurt
- Doubled reading goal = 1st Chuck E. Cheese trip!
- Homemade ice cream in a bag in 5 minutes!
- Easy crockpot chicken and rice
- On my way learning to hunt
- A double nomination? I'm a lucky girl!
- 100+ degrees? Put the pool & sprinkler in shade
- Pen pals: A lost tradition?
- Kid confidence builder: our drawing work
- Small town scare: Escaped prisoner in town?
- Wisdom from my Mom: Begging? Tell kids what YOU wa...
- Quick baking tip: too-dark pie crust blanket
- Preserving family memories: our rock jars
- Problem solving: the case of the spilled milk
- Small-town 4th of July
- Co-schooling: We can help educate our kids
- Wisdom from my Mom: teach it all by age 15
- Bossy or sassy? Let's have a do-over and rephrase
- Roasted salmon with smoked paprika
- Harvest excitement: where your bread comes from!
- Food allergies: be diligent! He almost had egg!
- June (33)
- May (58)
- April (61)
- March (68)
- February (89)
- January (80)
According to this article, Wichita has received the 2nd largest snowfall on record, reaching so far 14.2 inches, with the highest being 15 ...
So a recent discovery, given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law, is Walgreens' knock-off perfumes. They have all kinds, like fake Opium...
There's a good guest post at the Money Saving Mom blog today . Here's an excerpt: "Because of increasing gasoline prices we n...
Back in January, I posted this deal from Proctor & Gamble (I don't know if they have the same ones available or others now, but...
My repertoire of Facebook friends - and I only have about 100, mostly people I'm close to and really want to know what is going on with ...
I cannot believe that this blog started three months ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to say. Well, LOL, I n...
Today I want to start talking about a topic very near to my heart: postpartum depression. According to the agency I volunteer with, Postpart...
Got this out of Rachel Ray's magazine but changed it up for my particular style. It's a quick, easy, healthy way to add veggie...
It occurred to me today that kids diagnosed with ADHD need an active team consisting of 4 parts. Part 1) Parents and family. All learning...
My Mom has a theory. She thinks perhaps she and I (and my oldest brother) are God's entertainment. Take for example that she has a big n...