Monday, July 8, 2013

Preserving family memories: our rock jars

I just have to share this cool idea! I didn't think it up myself I'm sad to say. I saw it in a magazine and it so spoke to me.

We love rocks. We love to collect them. Plus they are long-lasting tangible souvenirs from a family vacation.

But it is so easy to end up years later with just a pile of rocks - or pine cones or bird feathers or shells or whatever - that no one can recall where they came from.

The idea: put the keepsakes from a family vacation in a jar with a note so you will always remember where they came from. I used mason jars here, but they could be any kind of jar, even recycled clean pickle, salsa or relish jars. I want to make a nice long wall of our trip keepsakes.

Now I am really not very crafty, so I'm sure a lot of you out there could come up with a much better, fancier set up than what I did. But it works for us.

And below is something else you can do with large rocks or items that will not fit in a jar. This idea comes from my Florida fossil hunting days. Use a little white-out and a marker and either record in a notebook what the writing means or tie it in to a number at the top of your Keepsake Jar.

Happy hunting!


16 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! I have a large blue mason jar full of small shells. Every time I look at it I remember my trip to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is neat to see those tangible reminders of a special time :)

      Delete
  2. Super cool idea! Ill have to remember that when we go up to the Dells.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I love this! It would also be a great way to keep track of the treasures that kids find and bring to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could have one by years, the things they brought you when they were a certain age! Good idea!

      Delete
  4. Cute idea! If you went to the beach you could do it with shells too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good idea! I wish I would have read about it when I was still in Florida!

      Delete
  5. Cute idea for a nice memory. And I like Elizabeth's comment about using shells if you had been at the beach. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute idea! My husband and I love to travel. We started collecting books when we traveled around Europe just after we were married. We also purchased a postcard to write down memories and keep inside the book. My have jars of sand from the different beaches they've visited. I love keepsakes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book idea is really neat and I love that about the sand. You could make a neat little scene with shells and mementos and sand. Very cool!

      Delete
  7. I usually collect snow globes from wherever we go. Granted to say I have quite a lot of them now. Never thought about rocks, guess they weren't pretty enough for me but I know my youngest son would love to do this. He loves rocks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow globes are so cool! That would make for a fun decoration around the house. I've always been a rock hound, I just can't help myself!

      Delete

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts