I'm declaring this year The Roller Coaster Year.
1. Late freeze (in May) meant a late garden, slow to produce.
2. 10 emerging cucumber plants were systematically reduced one by one to only 2 by hungry rabbits. I didn't know plants couldn't grow without their leaves. I guess they're like solar panels.
3. Large hail took out one of the remaining 2 (But hey, lookie here, old Lone Hearty Cuke has tons of babies right now!)
|We'll get some after all.
5. Okra plants are like zombies. You can break them in half and they keep on going! The two that were severed by hail are producing okra again already.
6. All the rain has made the carrots go crazy and the okra pods grow to 6 inches long. I've harvested twice this week, cooked some, frozen some and even shared some with mom. Look for pickled okra recipe coming soon.
7. The tomatoes are also loving the rain, they were late to start but they are putting on like mad now.
8. This isn't gardening per se, but the late freeze and then the hail stripped all mulberry trees of every last mulberry and there are no crab apples and very few walnuts this year. I had only salvaged enough mulberries early on to make 1 pie and 1 cobbler. Boohoo.
Any other gardeners out there struggling this year or in previous years? Or did you have a fabulous year?