It's rare for me to feel "old." I'm 42 and happy and proud of my age and that I've made it this far and that I feel better than any other time in my life. I have no qualms telling anyone my age.
I think age should be celebrated, not feared and pitied and ridiculed as it often seems to be in our society. Moving forward in age means a blessing of longer life, a wealth of knowledge, a strength of spirit.
But every once in awhile something happens and it's like *whap upside the head* guess you're not a spring chicken anymore, huh?
My conversation with fresh-faced, wide-eyed 19-ish cute kid guy sitting next to me on the plane:
Him: "Where are you headed?"
Me: "To pick up my son. He's been at his dad's for 3-1/2 weeks and has to start school in a week."
Kid Guy, very earnestly: "Oh, high school or college?"
Me, laughing: "No, SECOND GRADE!"
The kid looks at me funny like this isn't possible.
Me: "He's only 7."
Kid: "Oh, wow!"
Okay, I know that TECHNICALLY I could have a kid in college (like this very guy sitting next to me!), but I don't yet! He's only 7! I was 34, okay, when I had him, Mr. Young Guy To Whom I look Old!!
It actually was very funny and perhaps a lesson for him not to assume anything, ha!
- ► 2017 (53)
- Food allergies: A sad story from California
- Sweet things Brady says... God is real
- ADHD resources: a link to allergies & asthma?
- Funny things Brady does... his new school rule
- Spiritual boost? Try women's fellowship conference
- How I know I've found a great sitter
- Thinking of a shortie haircut? Go for it!
- Summer days are made for water
- Easy marinated cucumbers
- How my seat-mate made me feel old!
- Can squash bugs gloat? Are okra zombie plants?
- Summer recipe, Crispy Fried Okra
- Mother Nature's a fickle... Lady
- Low-cal treat: Granola "sundae"
- Life is full with a child in it
- Funny things Brady says... allergy-go-away-inator
- Can't sleep? Count your blessings
- Sweet things Brady says... Princess Leia and me
- Marriage & finances: You had me at Dave Ramsey
- Driving in KS: Corollas & mud don't mix
- Versatility matters: 2nd blog award!
- It's official: I'm licensed to hunt
- Chuck E. Cheese rewards calendars
- Guest posting: Easy Healthy Crockpot Gumbo
- For next summer: Reading programs abound
- DIY: Making a marble scarf necklace
- 10 reasons every couple should camp
- Stuffed patty pan squash
- ▼ August (28)
I cannot believe that this blog started three months ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to say. Well, LOL, I n...
According to this article, Wichita has received the 2nd largest snowfall on record, reaching so far 14.2 inches, with the highest being 15 ...
Today I want to start talking about a topic very near to my heart: postpartum depression. According to the agency I volunteer with, Postpart...
This post is a part of the Fantabulous Valentine's Day Favorites blog chain put together by a great group of bloggers. The theme ...
Apparently Brady has learned about "humus" - broken down organic matter which makes wonderful soil - as opposed to "hummu...
My hunting hubby always comes home with new things to cook. Venison, wild hog, dove. This time it was prairie chicken. They're interesti...
So a recent discovery, given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law, is Walgreens' knock-off perfumes. They have all kinds, like fake Opium...
We try to teach our kids a lot of things. Sometimes it feels like there is too much. Eat healthy food. Brush your teeth. Be polite. Be pat...
There's a good guest post at the Money Saving Mom blog today . Here's an excerpt: "Because of increasing gasoline prices we n...
Do you like my little depiction of a "worry bully" over there? I think that's kind of what they look like sitting on some...