Each day I will post some useful, unique, poignant or otherwise interesting online find that either I use regularly or found helpful. Today, I am posting two that I use most often.
1) www.moneysavingmom.com This blog is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE! Her ideas have changed the way I think about many things, in particular grocery shopping, cooking and finances. There are so many good things to find here, on couponing, saving money, parenting, homeschooling, homemaking, business etc., that I cannot possibly list them all. I use her site each week when making my grocery list, daily to get free items online and learn of deals. I glean inspiration as a homemaker and minimalist and parent, and just generally love her practicality and efficiency.
Her site is the single most influential site when I began to want to live frugally. When I first went to her site I was spending $1,000 per month for a family of three with three cats at the grocery store. I now spend between $240 and $300 per month, again for a family of three and three animals. That's at the minimum, $8400 per year savings!! I'd say it's worth checking out since it's free!
2) sparkpeople.com Twice in my life I have had to lose 25 pounds, many other times just 5 or 10. I've done paid programs through weightwatchers.com and ediets.com, and also read Larry North's Slimdown For Life book, but had just as much or more success with the FREE sparkpeople.com
I use it now every time I feel as though I've put on a few pounds (when my pants don't fit right anymore) since I don't EVER want to have to lose 25 again, and it helps me each and every time. The last time I needed to lose 25 it took me, honest to goodness, five years to get that off and keep it off. Five pounds per year for five years. Wow, talk about losing slowly! But it was through Sparkpeople that I took those pounds off and kept them from creeping back on. It can be simple and easy - all I do is enter what I eat every day (super easy using their database) and occasionally look at recipe and exercise articles - or it can be more involved with weight loss blogs, inspirational stories, message boards etc. If you don't need to necessarily lose weight, it is also good to help develop a more healthful and well-rounded eating habit as it tracks your protein, carbohydrates, fat and calories. I love knowing that I'm keeping in balance and becoming aware of what my habits are!
- ► 2017 (53)
- ► 2013 (521)
- Money Saving Mom post on patience
- Inexpensive glasses at Zenni Optical
- Savings tip: Cook and Freeze sausage
- Zucchini boats
- Kid motivator: The Prize Store
- Savings tip: Retail Me Not
- Country Photo Essay
- Savings tip: Save Your Mesh Bags
- Easy Shepherd's Pie
- Homemade Dry Stuffing and bread crumbs
- Earn money free: From Inbox Dollars
- Free Amazon gift cards: From Swagbucks
- Patience with kids: Wet cement commercial...
- Tasty Turkey Crescent Braid
- Free gift cards: From MyPoints
- Awesome resources: Money Saving Mom, Spark People
- How I Got Here
- Inaugural post: Where I Am Now
- ▼ November (18)
I cannot believe that this blog started three months ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to say. Well, LOL, I n...
According to this article, Wichita has received the 2nd largest snowfall on record, reaching so far 14.2 inches, with the highest being 15 ...
Today I want to start talking about a topic very near to my heart: postpartum depression. According to the agency I volunteer with, Postpart...
This post is a part of the Fantabulous Valentine's Day Favorites blog chain put together by a great group of bloggers. The theme ...
Apparently Brady has learned about "humus" - broken down organic matter which makes wonderful soil - as opposed to "hummu...
So a recent discovery, given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law, is Walgreens' knock-off perfumes. They have all kinds, like fake Opium...
There's a good guest post at the Money Saving Mom blog today . Here's an excerpt: "Because of increasing gasoline prices we n...
We try to teach our kids a lot of things. Sometimes it feels like there is too much. Eat healthy food. Brush your teeth. Be polite. Be pat...
Do you like my little depiction of a "worry bully" over there? I think that's kind of what they look like sitting on some...
Saw this article today and they had some good ideas. I forgot peaches in my 100 low-cal snacks! Here's the link: Spark People 100 cal tr...