Thursday, April 25, 2013

My child led me to God

Luke 18:15-17

The Little Children and Jesus

15 People were also bringing babies to Jesus for him to place his hands on them. When the disciples saw this, they rebuked them. 16 But Jesus called the children to him and said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 17 Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.”

I've had several people to say God gave me to Brady, but I really think it's the other way around.They say because I work with him so much, am patient with him, try to think of things to help teach him, that God put him with me for a reason. That I was someone who could handle the things that make him unique and that present challenges.

But no. That's not it. God saw that I had a lot to learn, that I was far from Him and a wonderfully spirited child like Brady would bring me Home.

When I finally chose at 38 to seek God, it was not for myself. It was a rough time, divorce always is, but that was not the reason in my mind. The reason was Brady was having trouble. He was in preschool - not a very good one we later realized - and was struggling. They sent home report after report about him and I was at a loss about what to do.

And this thought struck me: "Maybe if we went to church and he was in the church kids' room he would do better. Maybe he could practice his social skills and be with kind, understanding people who could help him."

So that's what we did. And yes, the church experience was good for him, but oh my, I wasn't prepared for what it might do for me. I cried every Sunday for two months. I mean, for reals! I had no idea I had that much inside to get out. When it was all out, I then learned to have faith, to pray, to live my life in a different way.

Concerns about my son also brought our family to the church we go to now, a really wonderful decision. It's amazing to me how God works.

And now, I pray every day - for Brady, for our family, for his teachers. I pray about all things I do with him and for him. And he has started saying little prayers to God each day as well. I cannot imagine our life now without that. Thank you, God. And thank you Brady.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts