I love holidays! I get to cook a lot! How fun.
New Year's Eve it was snowing quite a lot, which prevented our babysitter (my Mom!) from coming to watch the kiddo. So the three of us hunkered down to watch the movie, Holes, which is great film. I had planned on eating out, so my back up plan was homemade pizza.
Here are the results:
Once again, I was too excited about it to take a picture of the baked result, but it was far better than any store-bought pizza I've ever had and at least half the price.
I used two bags of Great Value pizza crust mix (50 cents a piece). You add hot water to the dough, let it set 5 minutes, then prebake it. I sprinkle the crust with spices before baking too. Then I use a small amount of spaghetti sauce, half a pound of browned seasoned ground venison, mushrooms, black olives, diced tomatoes, and top with 3 cheeses - mozzarella, cheddar and Parmesan. And bake. Delicious and better for you than regular pizza, a well rounded meal.
Hills Cornbread Casserole (came out of a newspaper cookbook)
(made this for New Year's day and it was glorious!)
1 can kernel corn, drained
1 can creamed corn
1 stick margarine (I used butter)
1 box Jiffy corn bread mix
2 eggs (I used half cup water with 2 tsp corn starch for egg-free)
2 cups sour cream (I used fat free)
1-2 cups shredded cheddar
Melt margarine in 9X9 casserole dish. Stir in corn, eggs and cornbread mix until well blended. Drop sour cream by tablespoon fulls on top and using a fork, fold it gently into the casserole mixture, taking care not to over mix (this makes nice ribbons of sour cream in the baked product). Bake in preheated 350 degree oven uncovered until golden brown, about 45-60 min assuring the center is fully cooked and set.
Remove from oven and add shredded cheese to top of casserole. Place back into oven until cheese is melted.
Gourmet hominy bake
This is my mother-in-law's recipe and it is amazing!
3 13-oz cans of white hominy, drained
2 4-oz cans of green chilies
1/2 stick butter
8 oz sour cream (I used fat free)
1/2 cup heavy cream (I used 1% milk)
1 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese (I used mozzarella)
salt, pepper to taste
Drain and rinse hominy. Butter casserole dish (I use cooking spray). Layer in the following order: hominy, green chilies, salt, pepper, then dot with sour cream and b utter. Repeat the layers, then dot the top with butter and pour the heavy cream or milk over all; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 mins.
- Characteristics of ADHD kids admired in adults
- Funny things Brady says... about gagging...
- You know you're in a small town... charity edition...
- Getting out of the house: Go to the library!
- You know you're in the Mid-west... weather edition...
- Part 2: Can society get back to basics & focus on ...
- You know you're in a small town...library edition....
- Our walk on a blustery day...
- Save money buying dry beans & rice
- Colorful peppers - even asparagus - can be afforda...
- Treats vs. healthy, teaching kids the difference
- The 7-year-old cashed his first check!
- Homemade jerky - tasty high protein snack
- Behavior booster: Pick a treat for each day
- Parenting tip: Get their eyes checked early!
- A new goal: No-Screen Saturdays
- How people in the south see snow :)
- Mulberry pie & Crockpot Italian chicken
- For picky eaters: Try Something New Thursday
- You're in a small town when... 7, noon, 6 sirens
- Crockpot Mex-lasanga, Taco Potatoes & Sheperd's Pi...
- Wisdom from my Mom...discipline is love
- You can save lots & get stuff free at the store!
- Funny things Brady says... about mom
- Thoughts of summer...
- Part 1: Can society get back to basics & focus on ...
- Reusing saves money & teaches creativity
- Finding joy in sacrifice, even when there's no cho...
- Spark People 10 treats under 100 calories
- Gourmet grilled cheese, honey carrots
- Keep hunger at bay: 105 low-cal easy snacks
- 10 ways to save on fruits and veggies
- Baked Zucchini Coins
- Easy Crockpot Homemade Applesauce
- No-recipe easy chili
- My husband's $50 thrift store profit via Ebay
- Getting up earlier can energize your day...
- What you can gain through Women's Fellowship
- The three gifts of my child...
- Lazy Day Activity: Play Uno!
- Postpartum Depression (PPD): Day 4 - getting help
- You know it's a small town.... who's that lady?
- Prayer for a child...and for myself...
- Savings tip: Other brands cheaper than Walmart
- Brady's "crystal store" - my little entrepreneur
- Brady's $3.42 profit from Ebay
- Funny things Brady says, a two-fer!
- Humility is a Monday a.m. car crash in hot pink pj...
- Funny things Brady says...church-y DVD
- Meal planning, our menu this week
- Crockpot Peach Crisp
- Forgiveness: Good to practice, good to teach
- Postpartum Depression (PPD) series Day 3: Signs & ...
- Postpartum Depression (PPD) Day 2: Risk Factors
- Smiley360 - you've got to check it out!
- RAIN! Photos of a rare joy in drought-parched Kans...
- One of life's little joys... mulberries and cream
- Wisdom from my Mom...be in the solution
- Funny things Brady says...my "voices"
- Postpartum Depression (PPD) 4-day series: Part 1
- Funny things Brady says...bad dreams...
- Hold hands while arguing
- Our disposable, throw-away society...
- Hubby got his January deer...
- The 7 year old has a bank account...
- Savings tip: Freeze everything!
- Funny things Brady says...the news...
- Giving kids the tools to be independent...
- Lazy day activity: Bury a treasure & find it!
- Whatever-You-Have soup & Teriyaki meatballs
- Funny things Brady does...his "driver's license"
- Add joy to life & take up a hobby...
- Easy Cheesy meatloaf
- Animal footprint stories told in the snow...
- You know you're in a small town when....sledding
- Sledding is a good workout!
- Behavior booster: Role-playing, demonstration and ...
- Wild game cooking: Bacon-wrapped grilled dove!
- Hominy bake, corn casserole, pizza!
- Funny things Brady says... New Year's edition!
- ▼ January (80)
I cannot believe that this blog started three months ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to say. Well, LOL, I n...
According to this article, Wichita has received the 2nd largest snowfall on record, reaching so far 14.2 inches, with the highest being 15 ...
Today I want to start talking about a topic very near to my heart: postpartum depression. According to the agency I volunteer with, Postpart...
Apparently Brady has learned about "humus" - broken down organic matter which makes wonderful soil - as opposed to "hummu...
This post is a part of the Fantabulous Valentine's Day Favorites blog chain put together by a great group of bloggers. The theme ...
So a recent discovery, given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law, is Walgreens' knock-off perfumes. They have all kinds, like fake Opium...
There's a good guest post at the Money Saving Mom blog today . Here's an excerpt: "Because of increasing gasoline prices we n...
Saw this article today and they had some good ideas. I forgot peaches in my 100 low-cal snacks! Here's the link: Spark People 100 cal tr...
Do you like my little depiction of a "worry bully" over there? I think that's kind of what they look like sitting on some...
Back in January, I posted this deal from Proctor & Gamble (I don't know if they have the same ones available or others now, but...