Friday, January 18, 2013
Easy Crockpot Homemade Applesauce
I cut this recipe out of a magazine awhile back and have made it over and over and over. It makes, no kidding, the best applesauce I've ever eaten. I have made homemade applesauce on the stove and this one in the crockpot is, by far, much easier.
Not only that, it's easy, cheap and healthy. Now, I have used mostly the apples Brady and I collected over the summer. We had boxes and boxes of them. For this batch, it was the very last bag I had frozen, so we are officially out. I never thought we'd run out, but we finally did.
However, just a week ago I got 3 pounds of apples from Aldi for $2.25, so you can find them cheap sometimes, which I consider $1 per pound or less.
Peel, core and slice 3 pounds of tart apples (I just use whatever apples were on sale or were able to collect). Then put them in a 4-quart slow cooker/crockpot.
Add 1/4 cup water, 3 Tbsps lemon juice and 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (I use more because I LOVE cinnamon). I also add a handful of brown sugar:
This recipe says turn the crockpot on high. Then come back 3 to 4 hours later and mash the apples. I have found, however, that if you have the time to add a little extra water and put it on low for 6 hours or so. This makes for a lighter flavor, but either way will work.
You can then refrigerate it for a week or freeze it for much longer. I have tried freezing it and it freezes very well. It is especially good with a dollop of Coolwhip Free on it.
One word of advice, this type of masher seems to work much better than the wavy kind.
- ► 2017 (53)
- Characteristics of ADHD kids admired in adults
- Funny things Brady says... about gagging...
- You know you're in a small town... charity edition...
- Getting out of the house: Go to the library!
- You know you're in the Mid-west... weather edition...
- Part 2: Can society get back to basics & focus on ...
- You know you're in a small town...library edition....
- Our walk on a blustery day...
- Save money buying dry beans & rice
- Colorful peppers - even asparagus - can be afforda...
- Treats vs. healthy, teaching kids the difference
- The 7-year-old cashed his first check!
- Homemade jerky - tasty high protein snack
- Behavior booster: Pick a treat for each day
- Parenting tip: Get their eyes checked early!
- A new goal: No-Screen Saturdays
- How people in the south see snow :)
- Mulberry pie & Crockpot Italian chicken
- For picky eaters: Try Something New Thursday
- You're in a small town when... 7, noon, 6 sirens
- Crockpot Mex-lasanga, Taco Potatoes & Sheperd's Pi...
- Wisdom from my Mom...discipline is love
- You can save lots & get stuff free at the store!
- Funny things Brady says... about mom
- Thoughts of summer...
- Part 1: Can society get back to basics & focus on ...
- Reusing saves money & teaches creativity
- Finding joy in sacrifice, even when there's no cho...
- Spark People 10 treats under 100 calories
- Gourmet grilled cheese, honey carrots
- Keep hunger at bay: 105 low-cal easy snacks
- 10 ways to save on fruits and veggies
- Baked Zucchini Coins
- Easy Crockpot Homemade Applesauce
- No-recipe easy chili
- My husband's $50 thrift store profit via Ebay
- Getting up earlier can energize your day...
- What you can gain through Women's Fellowship
- The three gifts of my child...
- Lazy Day Activity: Play Uno!
- Postpartum Depression (PPD): Day 4 - getting help
- You know it's a small town.... who's that lady?
- Prayer for a child...and for myself...
- Savings tip: Other brands cheaper than Walmart
- Brady's "crystal store" - my little entrepreneur
- Brady's $3.42 profit from Ebay
- Funny things Brady says, a two-fer!
- Humility is a Monday a.m. car crash in hot pink pj...
- Funny things Brady says...church-y DVD
- Meal planning, our menu this week
- Crockpot Peach Crisp
- Forgiveness: Good to practice, good to teach
- Postpartum Depression (PPD) series Day 3: Signs & ...
- Postpartum Depression (PPD) Day 2: Risk Factors
- Smiley360 - you've got to check it out!
- RAIN! Photos of a rare joy in drought-parched Kans...
- One of life's little joys... mulberries and cream
- Wisdom from my Mom...be in the solution
- Funny things Brady says...my "voices"
- Postpartum Depression (PPD) 4-day series: Part 1
- Funny things Brady says...bad dreams...
- Hold hands while arguing
- Our disposable, throw-away society...
- Hubby got his January deer...
- The 7 year old has a bank account...
- Savings tip: Freeze everything!
- Funny things Brady says...the news...
- Giving kids the tools to be independent...
- Lazy day activity: Bury a treasure & find it!
- Whatever-You-Have soup & Teriyaki meatballs
- Funny things Brady does...his "driver's license"
- Add joy to life & take up a hobby...
- Easy Cheesy meatloaf
- Animal footprint stories told in the snow...
- You know you're in a small town when....sledding
- Sledding is a good workout!
- Behavior booster: Role-playing, demonstration and ...
- Wild game cooking: Bacon-wrapped grilled dove!
- Hominy bake, corn casserole, pizza!
- Funny things Brady says... New Year's edition!
- ▼ January (80)
I cannot believe that this blog started three months ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to say. Well, LOL, I n...
According to this article, Wichita has received the 2nd largest snowfall on record, reaching so far 14.2 inches, with the highest being 15 ...
Today I want to start talking about a topic very near to my heart: postpartum depression. According to the agency I volunteer with, Postpart...
Apparently Brady has learned about "humus" - broken down organic matter which makes wonderful soil - as opposed to "hummu...
This post is a part of the Fantabulous Valentine's Day Favorites blog chain put together by a great group of bloggers. The theme ...
So a recent discovery, given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law, is Walgreens' knock-off perfumes. They have all kinds, like fake Opium...
There's a good guest post at the Money Saving Mom blog today . Here's an excerpt: "Because of increasing gasoline prices we n...
Do you like my little depiction of a "worry bully" over there? I think that's kind of what they look like sitting on some...
Saw this article today and they had some good ideas. I forgot peaches in my 100 low-cal snacks! Here's the link: Spark People 100 cal tr...
Back in January, I posted this deal from Proctor & Gamble (I don't know if they have the same ones available or others now, but...