Here are a few things I cooked in the last week. All are quick, easy and healthy.
Easy Shepherd's Pie (I cut this one out of a magazine somewhere)
2 cups hot mashed potatoes
4 oz cream cheese, cubed (I did not use it for this recipe as I didn't have any and it was still GREAT! You could use some milk instead)
1 cup shredded cheddar (I've used shredded mozzarella as well)
4 cups frozen mixed vegetables (canned works well too or even fresh cut up)
1 cup beef gravy (I don't eat anything beef, so I make a gravy using the sauces I brown the meat in (see below) and then add 1 Tbsp corn starch (flour would work too) mixed in water)
Brown meat in skillet and drain (I browned the venison in a mixture of soy sauce, Worcestershire and liquid smoke). Mix mashed potatoes with cream cheese (or milk and butter if you don't have cream cheese on hand) and 1/2 cup of shredded cheese until well blended. Stir vegetables and gravy into the meat. Spoon meat and vegetables into a square baking pan. Cover with potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 20 minutes at 375 or until heated through.
Crockpot Mexican Lasagna Stack Up (Found this at Family Fresh Meals blog)
Tortillas (the original recipes says 12-14 small ones, I used 4 large ones)
2 cups shredded cheese
1 Tbsp fajita seasoning (I used taco seasoning cuz that's what I had)
28 ounce can of tomatoes
15.5 oz can of beans (I used pintos)
15.5 oz can of corn (or frozen)
2 cups of salsa (I used homemade)
2 cups shredded chicken (I used one large can of chicken breast meat, you could also use browned ground meat or just beans)
I also added black olives and you could use onions, green chilies, jalapenos, sour cream, guacamole, whatever you can think of.
Spray crockpot with cooking spray. Lay down one layer of tortillas, enough to cover the bottom. Spread a layer of tomatoes, a layer of beans, a layer of salsa, fajita seasoning, chicken and then corn. Top with a layer of shredded cheese. Repeat the layers until a couple inches from the top. I repeated mine 3 times. At the top, for the final layer, do a layer of tortillas, topped with the rest of the tomatoes and cheese. Cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 2 hours.
Twice Baked Taco Potatoes (This came from Lynn's Kitchen Adventures)
1/2 cup sour cream
2-4 Tbsp milk
1-1/4 cup shredded cheese
1/2 pound ground meat, cooked and seasoned with taco seasoning
Preheat oven to 375. Scrub potatoes, pierce with fork or knife and bake 1 to 1-1/4 hours (or just microwave like I did!). Let cool for about 10 minutes, then cut baked potatoes in half and scoop out potato from the skin. But leave enough to have a sturdy shell for the filling. Mash the potato filling with sour cream and milk (I didn't have sour cream so put a little lemon juice in milk to sour it a bit, like buttermilk). Stir in 1 cup of cheese and seasoned taco meat. Spoon filling into potato skins and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
I went ahead and made filling with 1 pound of ground venison, and also added some beans. What we had left over we'll roll up in tortillas for breakfast! Yum!
- ► 2017 (53)
- Characteristics of ADHD kids admired in adults
- Funny things Brady says... about gagging...
- You know you're in a small town... charity edition...
- Getting out of the house: Go to the library!
- You know you're in the Mid-west... weather edition...
- Part 2: Can society get back to basics & focus on ...
- You know you're in a small town...library edition....
- Our walk on a blustery day...
- Save money buying dry beans & rice
- Colorful peppers - even asparagus - can be afforda...
- Treats vs. healthy, teaching kids the difference
- The 7-year-old cashed his first check!
- Homemade jerky - tasty high protein snack
- Behavior booster: Pick a treat for each day
- Parenting tip: Get their eyes checked early!
- A new goal: No-Screen Saturdays
- How people in the south see snow :)
- Mulberry pie & Crockpot Italian chicken
- For picky eaters: Try Something New Thursday
- You're in a small town when... 7, noon, 6 sirens
- Crockpot Mex-lasanga, Taco Potatoes & Sheperd's Pi...
- Wisdom from my Mom...discipline is love
- You can save lots & get stuff free at the store!
- Funny things Brady says... about mom
- Thoughts of summer...
- Part 1: Can society get back to basics & focus on ...
- Reusing saves money & teaches creativity
- Finding joy in sacrifice, even when there's no cho...
- Spark People 10 treats under 100 calories
- Gourmet grilled cheese, honey carrots
- Keep hunger at bay: 105 low-cal easy snacks
- 10 ways to save on fruits and veggies
- Baked Zucchini Coins
- Easy Crockpot Homemade Applesauce
- No-recipe easy chili
- My husband's $50 thrift store profit via Ebay
- Getting up earlier can energize your day...
- What you can gain through Women's Fellowship
- The three gifts of my child...
- Lazy Day Activity: Play Uno!
- Postpartum Depression (PPD): Day 4 - getting help
- You know it's a small town.... who's that lady?
- Prayer for a child...and for myself...
- Savings tip: Other brands cheaper than Walmart
- Brady's "crystal store" - my little entrepreneur
- Brady's $3.42 profit from Ebay
- Funny things Brady says, a two-fer!
- Humility is a Monday a.m. car crash in hot pink pj...
- Funny things Brady says...church-y DVD
- Meal planning, our menu this week
- Crockpot Peach Crisp
- Forgiveness: Good to practice, good to teach
- Postpartum Depression (PPD) series Day 3: Signs & ...
- Postpartum Depression (PPD) Day 2: Risk Factors
- Smiley360 - you've got to check it out!
- RAIN! Photos of a rare joy in drought-parched Kans...
- One of life's little joys... mulberries and cream
- Wisdom from my Mom...be in the solution
- Funny things Brady says...my "voices"
- Postpartum Depression (PPD) 4-day series: Part 1
- Funny things Brady says...bad dreams...
- Hold hands while arguing
- Our disposable, throw-away society...
- Hubby got his January deer...
- The 7 year old has a bank account...
- Savings tip: Freeze everything!
- Funny things Brady says...the news...
- Giving kids the tools to be independent...
- Lazy day activity: Bury a treasure & find it!
- Whatever-You-Have soup & Teriyaki meatballs
- Funny things Brady does...his "driver's license"
- Add joy to life & take up a hobby...
- Easy Cheesy meatloaf
- Animal footprint stories told in the snow...
- You know you're in a small town when....sledding
- Sledding is a good workout!
- Behavior booster: Role-playing, demonstration and ...
- Wild game cooking: Bacon-wrapped grilled dove!
- Hominy bake, corn casserole, pizza!
- Funny things Brady says... New Year's edition!
- ▼ January (80)
I cannot believe that this blog started three months ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to say. Well, LOL, I n...
According to this article, Wichita has received the 2nd largest snowfall on record, reaching so far 14.2 inches, with the highest being 15 ...
Today I want to start talking about a topic very near to my heart: postpartum depression. According to the agency I volunteer with, Postpart...
Apparently Brady has learned about "humus" - broken down organic matter which makes wonderful soil - as opposed to "hummu...
This post is a part of the Fantabulous Valentine's Day Favorites blog chain put together by a great group of bloggers. The theme ...
So a recent discovery, given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law, is Walgreens' knock-off perfumes. They have all kinds, like fake Opium...
There's a good guest post at the Money Saving Mom blog today . Here's an excerpt: "Because of increasing gasoline prices we n...
Do you like my little depiction of a "worry bully" over there? I think that's kind of what they look like sitting on some...
Saw this article today and they had some good ideas. I forgot peaches in my 100 low-cal snacks! Here's the link: Spark People 100 cal tr...
Back in January, I posted this deal from Proctor & Gamble (I don't know if they have the same ones available or others now, but...