Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Pull-apart bread & Mom's gravy



Cinnamon Pull-apart Bread

--I found this recipe in our local paper's recipe book this year and it turned out great! Really, really good. It's about $3 for the rolls and  maybe $2 for the caramel sauce. The nuts I had on hand already so threw them in too. 

24 Rhodes Dinner Rolls, thawed but still cold
3/4 c sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 c caramel ice cream topping (I used sugar free)

Cut rolls in half. Combine sugar and cinnamon. Dip rolls halves in butter and then sugar mixture. Place in sprayed bundt pan. 


Sprinkle any remaining sugar mixture over rolls. Drizzle caramel topping over rolls. I added chopped walnuts at this point that I already had on hand.



Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until 1 inch below the top of the pan (Seems like I let it rise for an hour before I got fed up and just baked it! Go with your instincts). Remove wrap and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown on top. Cover with foil last 10 minutes if necessary to prevent over-browning.

Remove from oven.



Invert onto a serving platter. I let it cool for a few minutes, then put a cookie sheet on top, my hand under the bundt and flipped it over. Good luck!



My Mom's Easy White Sauce/Gravy

-- Ma thinks she's been making this for 60 years too! I use it as a gravy over biscuits or toast or mashed potatoes, or as a white sauce for vegetables, potatoes or potato pancakes.

-- You can add cheese for a cheese sauce, or chicken to make a chicken gravy.

Base recipe, double as many times as needed

1 cup of milk
Between 1 & 3 Tbsp. flour (depends on how thick, thin or rich you want it)
Between 1 & 3 Tbsp. butter (depends on how thick, thin or rich you want it)
salt and pepper to taste

Heat milk and butter over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add flour, salt and pepper, and whisk continuously until thickened. 





2 comments:

  1. This is very similar to the cheese sauce recipe that I use, (minus the cheese of course). I hadn't used it for my breakfast gravy, but I will give it a try.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just so easy I use it for everything, such great flavor too and you can season it different ways or, as you say, add cheese. Let me know how it turns out!

      Delete

I truly enjoy your comments and love to interact. Be sure to check the "notify me" box below to see new comments and replies to your comment! Thank you!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts